Anyone done Grinnell Col? (Pioneer Basin area)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AnotherSteve
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone done Grinnell Col? (Pioneer Basin area)

Post by AnotherSteve »

So Mountain Light, did you do this trip? If so, is the more obvious saddle to the south the way to go?
Has anyone else passed over from Hopkins to Grinnell? Pioneer to Hopkins?

Thanks.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I've gone from Upper Hopkins Lake to Grinnell Lake summer and winter. Unfortunately I don't remember a lot about it other than it is a bit of a grind and you need to cross north and west of the low point. I crossed where the ridge trends e-w, due south of the "o" in Hopkins Lake on your map link.

And Pioneer to Hopkins is much easier, just SE of Crocker.
Last edited by John Dittli on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Ryanoa
Topix Novice

Post by Ryanoa »

From Grinnell to Hopkins, the obvious saddle to the south of Grinnell Col is the easiest route. I did this from west to east in July of 2012 without much trouble. We then proceeded to Pioneer Basin via Crocker Col, which isn't too bad as long as there isn't much snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST!

Steve,
Try using the "search" feature, there are TR's in which Crocker, and Grinnell Col
were used.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have crossed from Grinnell to Hopkins. This was back when I had almost no cross country experience and I did not find it too difficult. I took the same saddle as noted here on that USGS map. I recall some steep annoying sand when getting closer to the top on the West side but other than that no problem.

The low saddle to the left is what you aim for.

tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

See TR:Mono Pass, Pioneer Basin, Hopkins&Grinnell Lakes 6/7-6/10. The map linked there has couple of unofficial passes marked between Hopkins and Grinnell, we took one of them. Also we took Crocker Col between Pioneer and Hopkins.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Mountainlight,
My wife and I missed Tomba by a day or two last year, and when I read his TR, it sounds to me that he took the route out of Hopkins Basin that looks easiest from the Hopkins side. Specifically, if you look at the first photo Rogue posted, Tomba's route would lead to his coming down to the right of the saddle to which Rogue referred. From having done that route in the early 90's, I can attest that it's easier getting up via that route, but a bit trickier going down on the Grinnell side. The route we took last year was exactly the one Rogue pointed out: just shoot for the saddle on the left. There were a couple spots where we had to bushwhack through vegetation (because the snow in the adjacent chute was too slippery), but basically there are no obstacles that you cannot find an easy way around. And, yes, the view back toward Grinnell is sensational from that ridge (as Rogue's photo indicates).
cg
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

I'm going to try to add a couple photos; one is to provide a bit of contrast with Rogue's lake shot which was taken a bit later in the season (obviously, still a bit of ice on the lake when we were there). The second photo shows what the descent into Hopkins looked like. As is evident, for someone coming up from Hopkins, it would be natural to aim for the lower notch on the ridgeline, a bit south of where we were.
242.pdf
251.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.