Galena Peak (9324') - San Bernardino Mountains

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

Galena Peak (9324') - San Bernardino Mountains

Post by wingding »

Sunday we did the hike to Galena Peak at the east end of the Yucaipa Ridge. Getting up the headwall to the jumpoff was challenging - especially because I didn't bother to read this warning on the hps site that goes as follows:
The best route up the headwall is to ascend the gray-colored dirt up the center then, near the top, contour to the right on steep slopes to join the saddle. Avoid starting up the left side (in the tan dirt), as the ascent is not viable, becoming very steep and loose, and it is very difficult to traverse to the right from there. WARNING: the wall is concave in shape, so gets steeper with elevation. This is not apparent from below, so the tan dirt can seem to be superior. Do not fall into this trap!
I fell into the trap and found it a bit rough finding anything that would hold near the top on the left side in that tan dirt. I guess it's viable because I made it, but it wasn't fun for a while. Duane went to the far right and hit some really loose dangerous stuff too. I don't think I'd want to go up that headwall right behind someone. On the way down we went down the chutes in the grey-colored dirt and were able to partially ski/slide down without a hitch - much easier than the route up.

Here are some pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2098428
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Nice pics Kathy! Glad you made it through the rough spots!