Sierra High Route partner wanted

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
phdoofus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sierra High Route partner wanted

Post by phdoofus »

Hey all,

New member and I'm already asking for something. :D

I have too much vacation saved up now and my wife's new job doesn't let her have any until the end of the year so I figured I'd get this off of my bucket list seeing as how I'm California resident..again.
Looking to spend about 2 weeks on route, timing open, but maybe this isn't the year if the whole permit thing is going to be a problem. I could easily do this myself if my wife didn't freak out about the whole idea of it. :D

Me: Male, just about to turn 51, have a background of climbing, mountaineering (NZ, Alaska), backpacking (solo and not), grew up in Alaska so I have no problems being 'out there'. Also had a fair bit of wilderness first aid training but your best plan is to not rely on that. :D Also like landscape photography and skiing. Conversational without being overly chatty. PhD in geophysics but currently a computer monkey. Under no illusions that I know everything. :D Neither a type-A superathlete nor a couch potato. Not interested in listening to any paranoid conspiracy theories for two weeks. :D

You: ???
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra High Route partner wanted

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! Have you done any backpacking in the Sierra? Are there any areas
of specific interest? Answering some of these question may help you find a partner
of similar skills and abilities: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=10192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
phdoofus
Topix Novice

Post by phdoofus »

Yes, I've done some solo backpacking in the Sierra, mostly around Tuolumne and Sonora Pass but mostly climbing. Would be interested in doing the northward traverse. The baseline plan is the Roper route.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The entire High Route in 2 weeks is a pretty fast pace and/or long days. I did the route a few years back, purposely going slow (33 days incl. 2 logistical no-hike days). I felt that 21 days would be the fastest I would want to go, because you just miss too much any faster. Might get more people interested if you were to slow it down a bit.
afahrland
Topix Acquainted

Post by afahrland »

I did the High Route in 12 days back in 2012. That's probably faster than most people will want to go, but with a light pack it was doable and I felt like I thoroughly enjoyed the areas we went through. Still managed to do a bunch of fishing. Good luck trying to find a partner.
phdoofus
Topix Novice

Post by phdoofus »

Going for a longer period of time is certainly do-able. I certainly am not wedded to that timetable.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The High Route is a display of the very best the Sierra has to offer. Taking all the time you can to enjoy it and see anything else along the way is worth it!
phdoofus
Topix Novice

Post by phdoofus »

Still looking for a partner. Plan is 3 weeks with 3 resupplies (would need to cache one). Would prefer starting early July but can push that back a bit. Mostly need to make plans so can schedule time off.