Trail Etiquette - How to Politely Deter unwanted "third whee

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trail Etiquette - How to Politely Deter unwanted "third whee

Post by Rockchucker »

A smile and small nod then be on your way. People are weird, they don't think, going into someone's camp is like following someone into the bathroom to continue a conversation while you s#*+.
I'm no suture for my future.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

R.C.going into someone's camp is like following someone into the bathroom to continue a conversation while you s#*+.
LOL! You nailed it.
I do also seek solace on the trail and will slow my pace on the trail; easy to do (old fart) Or like Mark said go a bit off trail and take a break. Yes a simple nod/smile/hi will do and is appreciated. It's like a golf game to me. I paid for it (got a permit) just like everyone else and I'll play my game the way I want; even though it means a "foot Iron" out of some rough... Am I a bit slow? Play through!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

One of the many good things about being solo is not having to be social. I like leaving all that baggage behind, social graces, my job, relationships, responsibilities, and city troubles in general.

Shedding all that is the first step to really feeling connected and plugged in to your surroundings. Just to let your consciousness float on the breeze. The only thing greater than being in that perfect alpine meadow is to be completely connected to it. The moment you start talking to someone you come out of that trance like state.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow! this almost sounds like a group hug on Solo, if that's even possible.

It's ok to group up on the internet and talk about how you don't want to be in a group.. interesting..
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Umm yup! HST isnt a group hiking down a trail it is a social media web site!

Everything has its proper time and its proper place :wink:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:Wow! this almost sounds like a group hug on Solo, if that's even possible.

It's ok to group up on the internet and talk about how you don't want to be in a group.. interesting..
Not so interesting but maybe ironic. Forums provide perfect solitude for the socially inept. You can have contact but at the same time you can shut it off. You can't really shut off an unwanted intruder that persistently annoys, well not legally.
I'm no suture for my future.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Interesting where this thread leads...

First of all, agree that 4 days solo Sierra, fishing off trail and seeing nobody is indeed heaven - a whole week even better. However, from reading above, some here (old timers specifically) appear upset when having to talk to, even seeing other hikers - losing their connect, ruining their round, harshing their mellow. Me too, but only from afar.

When solo, after a few days in, indeed you become tuned in; you become aware of the presence of everyone, everything - miles off, any movement on the horizon. Somehow that miniscule human speck, way off in the distance, somehow infringes - takes something away...(doesn't make sense, but it does). A bird, or a deer, or bear adds something - The presence of another human detracts. The words spent in passing, saying hi, nodding, are subordinate to the physical presence of just being seen. You both realize you are not alone.

Once the inevitable happens, your actual paths crossing, this is another matter. When solo, once the "mood" has been broken, I usually talk with everybody (who is receptive)...understand your just nodding and not stopping too. Sometimes those met are crusty, geared-up, fishermen who know when to keep quiet - sometimes they are complete bassholes - sometimes both. You can usually tell soon enough - Sierra.

Being self-contained and solo, you can always move on. Solo hikers know, and if this be a group hug...where else?
Mountainman who swims with trout
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I'll just leave this here (definitely applies to me):

“Do you hate people?

I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski, Barfly
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

In the years when my wife and I did a lot of hikes we would do the majority of them without others, including our best and longest trips. I can remember only one time when other asked to join us while in the backcountry. They did not so much ask to hike with us but they seemed to be interested in being social and camping near us. We were not at our destination yet and we were hiking off trail from Martha to the unnamed lake between Sapphire and Wanda via Davis Lakes. We met these folks at Davis Lake. I can't say we worked up much strategy. We were asked where we planned to camp that evening and before I could answer my wife simply said that we weren't too sure, so I took the hint for we knew very well where we planned to camp. The next part of the 'strategy', if you can call it that, is that my wife really stepped on the hiking accelerator coming out of Davis Lakes leaving the other two very far behind so that we never saw them again. In our off trail backpacking hey day this is the only time we faced a potential tag-a-long situation of sorts.

In contrast, on another occasion we returned to a camp in Darwin Canyon and found two people camped next to us that we had seen at a nearby lake earlier in the day. We very much welcomed this, not because they shared G and T's with us, but because these two were the only folks we ever met in the backcountry that gave us more fishing information than we gave them (they had also called it right on the lake earlier in the day when we met them as they departed it--"you will really like this place"). In any case that was the best high country fishing brainstorming session we ever had in the High Sierra. Would we have been so welcoming if we met them while hiking and they asked us to camp nearby? If they had bribed us with a few teaser pieces of fishing info, undoubtedly yes. I suppose that under certain circumstances we'd sell our solitude.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Wandering Daisy wrote:It seems to me that a certain demographic - younger than we old timers - are really into the social aspect of backpacking, and to them, tagging along is natural, fun and think everyone loves this. I do not think it occurs to them that we rather be alone, and alone a LOT! Four days without seeing a single person is pure heaven to me. Actually, my purposeful avoidance of other backpackers probably seems rude to them. So to all the trail social butterflies, I apologize if I seem rude. I just would rather not talk. A simple greeting might even break my wilderness experience. I am not in the least offended if you do not say "hi" to me either. A smile is enough.
I very much enjoyed watching The Muir Project's Mile, Mile and a Half film over the holidays. It fascinated me how many people joined up with them in the last half of the trip. I observed a similar grouping up of solo JMT hikers when we went from Onion Valley to Whitney in 2012.

It does seem that after a week or so on the trail, plenty of people are in search of someone else to talk to. Personally, I'm always interested to find out about where people are from and where they are going, if we end up camping nearby or meet them on the trail. One of the thing I like is the huge variety in background of people you meet out in the backcountry. But I wouldn't change plans to camp nearby or try and hike with them.