Backpacking with tooth pain

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking with tooth pain

Post by rlown »

it's not about being a Marine. It's about prepping for a trip, and if you know you have an issue you deal with it before leave, or you have to press your spot device or make me have to use my pliers.

Gutting it through is ok to get out after a problem. Not ok if you know you have preexisting conditions that put you at further risk. My root canal was failed, but the tooth was stable and dead and packed. It couldn't have hurt me in the 10 days I was out.

DaveB.. loved the reference!!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Maverick -- I'm not a dentist. And I understand that money is part of the equation.

In my own experience the years of extra time that root canals (which eventually failed) bought me was well worth it in both cases. But your mileage may vary.

In terms of the backcountry who knows how someone will respond to whatever treatment they choose. For myself the only period of time that I've been worried was when my first implant was in the process of failing. While that was going on I routinely carried antibiotics on longer trips in case it progressed to an infection.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i had a post put in in '74. she failed in '91. and the implant replaced the old style post is fine. #9..
I reiterate, if you have pain or known problems, take care of it at least a month (or two) before you go out. agree though, carry the antibiotics.. Still a preplan prep.

russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Longri wrote:
For myself the only period of time that I've been worried was when my first
implant was in the process of failing. While that was going on I routinely
carried antibiotics on longer trips in case it progressed to an infection.
Great, so the implants can occasionally get infected, so there is no real better
avenue to take. How long did your root canals last? Seems like stocking up
on some antibiotics and vicodin for my backcountry trips will be a routine
procedure from here on.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RobS
Topix Novice

Post by RobS »

I am a dentist and see patients weekly with acute pain and infection. Acute pain from a fractured tooth, an acute abscess, or an acute abscess from a failed root canal would definitely be a trip ender for me. I would hike out unless I was somehow able to manage the pain.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

You missed my point, no problem for Mav to handle he plier thing.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

RobS wrote:I am a dentist and see patients weekly with acute pain and infection. Acute pain from a fractured tooth, an acute abscess, or an acute abscess from a failed root canal would definitely be a trip ender for me. I would hike out unless I was somehow able to manage the pain.
Very cool, RobS! glad we finally got direct dental advice on this thread. You're going to become popular to hike with. :)

And Mav, everything can get infected and fail. Just make the choice and get it done. What wasn't mentioned is the "throb, throb, throb" that comes with toothpain while hiking. it's still there even with pain killers on-board.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

RobS,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Great, so the implants can occasionally get infected, so there is no real better
avenue to take. How long did your root canals last? Seems like stocking up
on some antibiotics and vicodin for my backcountry trips will be a routine
procedure from here on.
My root canals lasted different lengths of time (about 2 and 8 years) and did not fail catastrophically. The extractions were not emergencies. But personal anecdotes have limited value.