2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by maverick »

Thanks Jimr. Those of you interested in the HST meet-up between 7/22-7/27
in Wallace Basin and are starting your hikes from Inyo NF, please secure your
wilderness permits now. If your starting point is within the NP you will have
to wait till March 1st to do so. If you are a new member on HST please do not
hesitate to join us, this is for all members new and old.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

Checking into the feasibility of making this trip work. It looks like I'll have an extra week of vacation to splurge on in the sierra this summer, as long as MrC is available to stay home and take care of our new pup (coming March 1 and will still be too young for a trip like this - plus the whole NPS no-dog thing). I'm definitely interested in peaks - the only I've done in the area are Tyndall and Barnard (and Whitney, of course). I think I'd come in over Shepherd.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sounds good Calipidder.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd certainly be interested in meeting up with people out there but from what I have had planned I should be climbing around Ragged Spur at that time.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

Everybody should be aware of the Badwater 135 ultramarathon schedule when making their plans. Due to the NPS's safety assessment, this race has been moved out of Death Valley this year. The race starts on 7/21 from Lone Pine, and the first leg climbs up to the Horseshoe Meadow trailhead. The race then returns to Lone Pine, goes to Cerro Gordo, then to the Darwin turnoff from 190, then back to Lone Pine and up to finish at Whitney Portal on the 23rd. Race HQ will be at the Dow Villa.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Jim for that helpful info.

DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Woah. Wallace/Wright Lakes Basin. Some guaranteed suffering to get there. Two to three days minimum for most. Then again, that area is one of the very few I have not visited. Been all around it though. Setting up a shuttle would be a nice possibility.

Shepherd Pass. If I am not mistaken, has not that trail recently suffered some major damage? Was it repaired or going to be?
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Whoa!.. what he said about getting there.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Woah. Wallace/Wright Lakes Basin. Some guaranteed suffering to get there. Two to three days minimum for most.
From the East?? Steep climb but not too far.
And rlown your banned from commenting unless you consider going. :D
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

DWD wrote:
Shepherd Pass. If I am not mistaken, has not that trail recently suffered some major
damage? Was it repaired or going to be?
Yes it suffered damage, but some members have passed through the area since and
reported that it was fine to use, except for stock. Inyo NF reports the same.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... ecid=20796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;