Favorite Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Bars

Post by Rosabella »

Has anyone tried "Journey Bars"? My sister just sent me a link to their website... they have some interesting-sounding flavors: Hickory BBQ, Coconut Curry, Parmesan Romano, Pizza Merinera, and Rosemary. Obivoulsy, all savory rather than sweet, which sounds intriguing.

I went thru the pages on this thread and didn’t find any reference to them… I’m not sure how long these have been out, but I think I might order some of the flavors to try them. Looks like calorie count ranges from 170 - 220 per bar.

Here's the link if anyone's intersted:
http://www.journeybar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just now did a search for reviews, and here's that link:
http://www.favediets.com/Food-Product-R ... Bar-Review#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

I have become a fan of Zing Bars, especially the chocolate coconut variety. For non-sweet snacking, I carry bags of assorted (almond, cashew and pistachio) nuts and Tanka bites.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I now make my own from this popular PCT recipe. They are awesome and I'm actually eating one now :D

Barbara K's trail bar receipe

4 -5 cups rolled oats (I'd go with 4)
1 cup shredded coconut
I cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup ground flax seeds (I ground the seeds in a coffee grinder)
1 cup wheat germ
8 scoops protein powder (vanilla is my fav)
½ tbs salt
Mix all this together in a LARGE bowl

Melt the next 3 together in a saucepan

2 cups PB (think I used about 24 ozs)
2 cups honey (I used about 20 ozs)
2 cups choc chips

Then mix the melted stuff with the dry mixed stuff. First with a spoon, then you'll need to use your hands, like kneading bread dough.

Spread it onto wax paper lining a cookie sheet. Press it down with your hands, then use a rolling pin to smooth it out. Use a knife to section out the bars now – might be too hard later.

Leave overnight in frig covered with wax paper. Store in ziplocks with wax paper or parchment paper.

It says makes 20 bars, 51/4 x 2 x ¾ inches
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Not quite a bar, but I have started taking gluten free protein shakes or meal replacement shakes. Just add to water in your cup, and they are a great way to get some easily digested food into the system quick. The good ones taste pretty good, and if you don't care about gluten, the regular ones taste very good. Super light weight and you almost feel the energy going into your blood stream. I usually follow it up with some trail mix. Phil
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

If you like clif bars but are looking for something a little different, check out my friends company Tahoe Trail Bars. I tried them on a climbing trip a few months ago and they were pretty good.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

This is an older thread but I thought I'd add some bars that are more recent. I like to take a variety of bars so that I don't get bored with them. I have trouble eating enough on the trail so variety helps.

A few newer bars I tried this year that I really liked: 1) Quaker Oats Real Medleys bars; 2) Clif Macadamia White Chocolate (MWC); and 3) Clif Mojo Pretzel.

The Quaker Real Medley bars have unusual ingredients like dried cherries, peaches, apples, and nuts like pistachio. These bring some real variety to the taste buds.

Clif MWC are real sweet but yummy. My current favorite Clif bar.

Clif Mojo is more of a savory than sweet bar. A nice change.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Favorite Bars

Post by wanderin.jack »

I stay away from dairy and soy for purely personal reasons. Here are my two favorite bars. http://www.organicfoodbar.com/products/Protein" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.organicfoodbar.com/products/ActiveGreens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack