The future of alcohol stoves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by wanderin.jack »

There has been a number of fires caused lately by hikers not being careful with their alcohol stoves. Based on some conversations I've had with USFS staff and the up coming likely very dry summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see the USFS and NPS to put alcohol stoves in the same category as open fires. Their rational will likely be that in order to qualify as a "camp stove" it must have a hard fuel cut-off and closed fuel container none of which an alcohol stove has.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
austex
Topix Expert

Re: The future of alcohol stoves

Post by austex »

I toyed with two types alcohol stoves last year. Every time I made sure there was about 24" of clear ground around them when I lit them; never a problem, but to be safe for sure. If it tipped it would soak into the dg and not spread. Also a pot lid or the like to smother the flames if necessary. In all I do agree they will ban them.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

can alcohol be used in something like a svea 123? I honestly have no clue, but..
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Wow, good timing here. Just saw this on the PCTA website:
In places, stoves without a positive shut-off valve and a contained fuel source will be banned in order to protect the forest. Plan ahead and consider leaving your alcohol and wood-burning stoves at home from the start.
Wanderin' Jack
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

This is the kind that I've made:

http://www.realfarmacy.com/how-to-turn- ... ing-stove/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A pretty fun and easy project, but it does take a bit of experimenting to get one just right. I've used it a few times car camping, but I've never taken it out backpacking.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Rlown, I'm pretty sure not. The whole point of an alcohol stove is how light and simple they are. Any attempt the make a positive shut-off would, at this stage of the technology, defeat the purpose.

I actually have a very nice beer can stove but I find them to be a real pain in the ass. Mainly because I boil 4-5 times a day. Many through hikers only boil once of twice a day. Anyhow, I'll stick with my jet boil.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

More on alcohol stoves. I also have burned myself badly using them: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGFRhjIFs ... rGFRhjIFss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Haven't used any stove since 2005 on a summer hike. No stove, fuel, pot, spoon, etc... Zip lock bags and my Bearikade expedition are my only food related equipment on the trail.

I own a couple of alcohol stoves and they definitely needs to be treated like an open fire with regard to wild fire safety.
Jeff