snow consolidation?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

snow consolidation?

Post by Eric1234 »

Im wondering if the snow has consolidated enough in the Mammoth area that snowshoes will not be required. It looks like the temps have been pretty warm lately.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: snow consolidation?

Post by John Dittli »

I was up below Mono Pass (south) a few days ago. Knee deep in places below Ruby Lake. Same in the Sabrina Basin two days ago. It's a mixed bag, but mostly not very supportive. I wouldn't plan on going far without flotation of some sort....
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by cefire »

Ditto for Tahoe, my first winter here coming from the north cascades and it seems strange that the snow is still so loose as its been on the ground for a while :confused:
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

John Dittli wrote:I was up below Mono Pass (south) a few days ago. Knee deep in places below Ruby Lake. Same in the Sabrina Basin two days ago. It's a mixed bag, but mostly not very supportive. I wouldn't plan on going far without flotation of some sort....
Hi John, just curious how far up the road was open when you went. Thanks!
g4b
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

granite4brains wrote:Hi John, just curious how far up the road was open when you went. Thanks!
g4b
You could/can? drive to the Pack Station.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

After consulting with our resident snow expert I thought I should share the following observation. As long as the snow depth is extremely low, say less than 5 feet, do not expect the snow to consolidate. For an explanation just google temperature gradient snow.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

John Dittli wrote:
granite4brains wrote:Hi John, just curious how far up the road was open when you went. Thanks!
g4b
You could/can? drive to the Pack Station.
Thanks!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/