Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Short White Guy,

Welcome to HST! Moved your post into this thread for new members intro.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Short White Guy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Short White Guy »

maverick wrote:Hi Short White Guy,

Welcome to HST! Moved your post into this thread for new members intro.
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Hey everyone! I found this forum this past summer and have been lurking since. I fell in love with the Sierra when I moved out here in 2011 from Michigan/Florida. I wasn't much of an outdoorsy person before then, but when I did my first backpacking trip ever - to Cottonwood Lakes - I was hooked. My boyfriend and I did the HST (on what was my 4th backpacking trip) and I just couldn't get enough (I fell in love with Precipice Lake). The summer of 2012 was spent wandering the Sierra and doing the JMT. This past summer, we were had several trips lined up (Cloud Canyon to Deadman Canyon, the HSR, etc), but sadly we didn't get to do any of them...

Last February, I broke my back in a skiing "accident". I suffered an L1 burst fracture and a severely bruised spinal cord (if you look at my CT scans, it's shocking my spinal cord wasn't severed). Two back surgeries (T12 - L2 fusion), having to learn to use my legs again, and lots of PT later, I'm back to hiking (and cautious skiing). I haven't had a successful backpacking trip yet (only tried once), but I'm honestly shocked every day by the fact that I even got to hike this past summer. The Sierra was nature therapy for me in the recovery madness. Trips to Lamarck Col, Piute Pass, Bishop Pass, Granite Lakes, etc., made me appreciate the Sierra more than I already did. I'll stop rambling for now, but I have a blog about my life bionic adventures if anyone wants to follow along http://astrogerly.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Maybe I'll stop being just a lurker now... :)

Tiffany
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Welcome aboard Tiffany, amazing story! I truly admire you tenacity and positive attitude.
I'm no suture for my future.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Thanks, Rockchucker! It definitely hasn't been easy at times, but knowing how lucky I am (and how much worse it could have turned out), keeps me pushing on and staying positive! I'm just ready for the nerves in my feet/ankles to start cooperating again... ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to HST! Quite an ordeal that you have had to persevere through and
it is even more remarkable to read your that your out again enjoying the mountains.
Hope you will be able to visit some of the places you mentioned on you wish list
and maybe you might even consider joining us on our HST meet-up in July. :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Thanks Maverick! We're definitely planning on attempting the trips this year, and spending some quality time in the Evolution Basin too. We were hoping to make it there at some point last year, but it has been moved to the top of the list for this year (I love that entire area). We'll definitely keep the HST meet-up on our radar and try to make it! :)

Tiff
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Hello everyone,

Was just told about this forum on another forum with some fellow hikers. Seemed to be the right place now that I'm getting into overnight hikes.

Always have enjoyed the outdoors; smells, animals, scenery, everything. Grew up in the city and family on my mothers side owned a farm. Would always spend my summers there and I believe that's where I got my love for the great outdoors.

Moved to California recently and have been to Yosemite about five times already. Not an expert so have stuck with some small day hikes for the time being, but plan to do some more serious stuff this year.

Hoping to read/get help on what to do, things to bring, etc.

Hope to share some of my stories with you all as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

InsaneBoost wrote:
Hoping to read/get help on what to do, things to bring, etc.

Hi InsaneBoost,

Welcome to HST! You'll find a lot of information on here using the search feature, and
when your ready to ask question please do not hesitate.

Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

astrogerly wrote:Hey everyone!... Tiffany
Hi Tiffany,

Sorry I didn't run across your intro until recently. Welcome to the forum. I wanted to say how inspired I am about your courageous comeback. I climbed everything I could get my fingers on as a kid, then fell out of a tree house at age seven and cracked a pair of thoracic vertebrae. Fortunately all I had to do was sleep on a board and wear a steel back brace for 6 months. When I first started rock climbing, I had some relearning to work through. You are showing some real bravery after what you've gone through and I really admire you. After I broke my hip in my 30's, I gave up downhilling and stuck with nordic, canoeing, and backpacking.

BTW, I had to ask about the astro part of your moniker, is that related to a baseball team or space stuff? Just curious, 'cause I'm a total fanatic about the latter of those.

Welcome again,
Tom