Bearikade for JMT

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Bearikade for JMT

Post by ndwoods »

[/quote]
The O ring also keeps smells from getting out so Mr. Bear has a harder time smelling them.[/quote]

That really doesn't make any difference....the smell of your hands on the can is enuf to attract a bear. As long as you don't forget to lock it then you should be fine tho. :)

I used to do search and rescue with dogs and it's amazing what they could find. In my last test, my dog had to find 4 articles in a 4 acre field....after the articles had been boiled in hot water, pulled out with sterile tongs and put in plastic bag, then thrown in the search field without being touched several hours before her test. She found all 4 articles in a hasty search in under 4 min....she had 15 min allotted to her. There is no such thing as odor barriers or anything else like that....just cans that lock good and are round so the bear can't get a grip....:)

Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

functional o-rings are useful to keep rain out - I've had water in the bottom of one of our Bearikades after a 12 hour rainstorm. Probably best to lay them on their side, too, but that time we had no idea they would not seal out water if they are supposed to be so smell proof.

Our o-rings look good, seem to seal, but clearly, if water gets through, so will smell. My guess is the water leaks around the lock holes, not the outside rim.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Do the dzus cam locking fasteners have room for a small o ring under them? Also a small amount of silicone grease may help seal them and keep them pliable. Also leave unlocked when in storage as not to compress the o ring unnecessarily.
kingofthemountains
Topix Novice

Post by kingofthemountains »

good point with leaving them unlocked when in storage, i've never thought of that, I am gonna go into the garage and unlock mine right now :thumbsup:
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Yea good point about the rain! I've never had mine leak, but I had an old garcia leak in a storm...:)
dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

austex wrote:Do the dzus cam locking fasteners have room for a small o ring under them? Also a small amount of silicone grease may help seal them and keep them pliable. Also leave unlocked when in storage as not to compress the o ring unnecessarily.
I think there are o-rings around the locks - have to double check. I never keep them locked when not in use, and when the leak happened, it only affected one of three Bearikades. Not sure if that had to do with how it was exposed to rain or if it has a faulty seal. Now I will have to do some bathtub submersion tests, just like I did for those darn leaking inflatable ground pads...
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

My Bearikade Scout leaked during a Sierra rain shower as well. I decided to investigate why that happened, and discovered the main o-ring to be dry, cracked, and brittle. I called Wild-Ideas to see if they sell the o-rings, but they do not. They did give me the O-ring specs, and suggestions on where to purchase online.

You can purchase directly from http://www.mcmaster.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.allorings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Parker 2-172 for the large and Parker 2-111 for the small ones under the quarter turn fasteners. Buna-N, 70 durometer. Check your large o-ring for width: 1/8" for Parker 2-268 and 3/32" for Parker 2-172.

They are not very expensive, but they come in packages of more than is needed to do just the cannister. One would think Wild Ideas would/could sell as a repair kit??
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Not to make things more difficult here but...
BTW, have the Weekender, bought last century and easily over 1500+ nights on it...
When rain threatens, (since it can only leak from the top),
Turn the can over?
Mountainman who swims with trout
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

+1 on the turn it over - done that many times with my Garcia and never had water in the can even after heavy rain all night, just make sure it is up out of the mud too
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Bearikade for JMT

Post by wanderin.jack »

Yeah Freestone, my Bearikade O ring has cracked as well. Good to know.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack