Trail Sign Blunders

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mahjzha
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trail Sign Blunders

Post by mahjzha »

Hi All,

In the spirit of the "name this mountain" and "seen this lake" posts, I dedicate this to all of the silly/erroneous trail signs seen while packing! My daughter and I spent this last summer hiking in the Emigrant/Carson-Iceberg wilderness and on the PCT. I had been by this sign several times before and never noticed the "oops" until she pointed it out to me. It is located on the PCT near the Leavitt Lake trail/mining road junction close to Sonora Pass. It makes me wonder if they even knew the sign was wrong, or if they had carried it too far to care!
11829032675_23d169e650_n.jpg
11829439414_b59d134a2d_n.jpg
Anyone else have fun blunders to share!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail Sign Blunders

Post by dave54 »

In Lassen NF there is a Forest Service K-tag showing its location as R. 6E when it is R.7E. Just a typo, but a 6 mile typo!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Not backpacking...and I would have to dig out the pic I took to know for sure where, but somewhere near Silverton Durango in Colorado is an elevation sign that says "Elevation High, Population Low."
And...I think maybe Kellog Idaho...again I'd have to dig out the pic but there is a population sign that says 238 (or whatever the real number is) people and 1 grump. :)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

That "PTC" sign is awesome! I bet most overlook it.

Anyways, in Desolation Wilderness, just west of Lake Tahoe, at Lake of the Woods there is a sign that says "Lake," which is mostly submerged in said lake. Probably not this year unless we start breaking records, but the last few summers it has. I'll try and find the pics to post.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Sometimes getting resources such as signs can be a process. I'm sure who ever put it in was like the hell with it I'm putting it in anyway! :D
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I've always found the "Trail Pass Trail" to be somewhat oddly named.

John