Onion Valley-Matlock Lakes Backpack (Topix trip)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

What a fun trip this must have been!!! Great pictures everyone!! There was no way I could have made this trip (my older son got married last weekend) but I'm gonna make one of these forum trips :nod:!
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I'm with Trailbud...that was a much needed trip! I only got one trip to the Sierra this summer, and really felt like I missed out! I had a great time being with such a fun group of people, and you couldn't have asked for better weather for this time of year!!! :nod: Thanks to Snowy for putting this trip together; she always does such a great job of getting everything coordinated. =D> Thanks to Trailtrekker for her work as well!! :righton: It was great to meet some new friends and see some "old" ones! :unibrow: Bill and Rebecca, glad you could join us! Good to see Trailbud's young 'un getting into the Sierra groove! :) Sorry I missed out on some of the humor on Sat. night (a good part of it at my expense, no doubt!!!) and heading out for Gould on Sunday! Some things are just out of your control (so to speak! :\ ) I did finally start out about an hour and 20 minutes after the group left. Can't believe I missed you up there! Made it to the false summit at 3:30 and saw the true summit just past a ridge I would have to climb; I figured that I wouldn't be able to climb that in the conditions, plus I was sucking wind big time!!! In addition, it was late and I knew that the rest of the group would be worried when they got back. So I decided I was happy to get to within about 50 ft of the summit, all things considered! One of these days, when I do cardio regularly for more than a few weeks, I may actually be able to do this without it feeling like a death march!!!

Great pics by everyone! If I figure out how to do it, I will post mine. I know there's great anticipation for a select few! :D

For anyone that is heading up to the Sierra in the coming weeks, don't believe all you hear about the snow and ice conditions. The rangers had reported that there was hip deep snow at Kearsarge Pass. There was no snow at all on the pass! The best info comes from those who have just been in that area; apparently the rangers don't get the best info! :dontknow

Once again, thanks to everyone for making the trip so enjoyable! :friends
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

P.S. Tomcat, sorry I couldn't help you out with your "problem!!!" :unibrow: To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have been able to keep up with you guys...unfortunately, I don't have any mountain goat in my genes! :( I'm sure you had to undergo much pain and suffering under such harrowing conditions!! :lol:
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Great photos you guys! wish I could have made it.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

:D Great photos of a fun trip! I have a lot of the same shots as Ranboze, but here it is anyway.

Snow Nymph's photos from Saturday: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555216927IpZyOt :D

Trekker, you did great getting as far as you did. You might have been able to keep up. I felt great on this trip, but I think I prefer daytrips and a lighter pack. My back can't handle the weight of a full pack. It was 35 lbs, but felt like 45 coming back, and it was bigger than when we started. How does that happen? :retard:

It was a fun trip!

I'm working on Sundays pics, so I'll post them as soon as I'm done! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

pictures posted now: http://members3.clubphoto.com/tom103807 ... uest.phtml

so where next - still voting for a death valley trip - possible into butte valley
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trail Bud »

Great pictures Tomcat. I love the captions! :D :D
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great pictures everyone :nod:
Gary C.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Snow Nymph's photos from Sunday (Mt Gould):
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555217905QIEXQG :D

I agree, great captions, Tomcat! :lol:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks Gary and Snow - love your picts