OTC Drugs and Prescriptions

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: OTC Drugs and Prescriptions

Post by oldranger »

I take 4 different prescriptions and several vitamins and supplements. I prepackage these in tiny baggies. I separately bag pain killers for use if needed. I also include Benadryl in my evening Baggie to stop my nose from stuffing up and to help me sleep. I also carry a travel prescription of antibiotic in a separate Baggie.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

For OTC stuff, I carry a few Advil and Aleeve. I also carry some Tylenol PM, which help me get to sleep and stay that way if I over exerted to the point of something more than just good and tired. These all travel in a 35 mm film can (remember those?). My prescription meds are portioned out for AM and PM each day. Each dose wrapped in a small square of plastic wrap , which then goes into a small ziploc for either AM or PM. This approach is more compact than a pill carrier, and is easy to retrieve from the bear can.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I carry one small pill bottle (small Advil bottle), with advil (most used), antihistamine (most critical for allergy and also use as a sleep aid), multivitamin for each day, and a few regular aspirin (supposed to be FA for heart attack). I have chronic sinus problems so the advil (for headaches) and antihistamine seem to keep it in check. I also have electrolyte balance problems (muscle cramps) and the simple multivitamin seems to help a lot and weigh a lot less than Gaitoraid or cytomax drink powders. I am extremely allergic to pine pollen- once forgot the pills and my eyes swelled so much I could not see the trail, in addition to being miserable. I am not on any prescription meds (probably because I never go to the doctor). I only take stuff if really needed and put up with minor aches and pains.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

just a small assortment of ibuprofen, imodium, benadryl, and my daily rx.

And a flask of 12 year old single malt scotch. The most useful drug of all.

Missing a day or two of my daily rx will not hurt me. Wife, OTOH, has a daily rx she MUST take without fail every day or bad things can happen. We each carry a supply of her meds just in case in something happens to one of the packs.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Rx Maxalt in case of migraine or severe headache, have never needed it at high altitude and do not know if it would have side effects. I bring an old neck pillow cut in half to lessen the threat of a headache which these days are only brought on by arthritic neck pain. I do sleep with the one Maxalt tablet under my pillow, with a debilitating migraine I would never be able to get to and open the bear canister. Imodium, ibuphrofen and benedryl, just in case, mixed together in a very small bottle. I carry the same, minus the pillow, on day hikes. And I make sure to drink plenty of water.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not aimed at anyone as the topic was just pinged again, but why do we need so many drugs when we go up there? I understand Rx stuff. It is interesting. I actually feel better up there after getting above 10k. Not sure why that is.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

OTC Drugs and Prescriptions

Post by wanderin.jack »

I use these little ziplock lock bags. http://www.amazon.com/Ezy-Dose-Disposab ... B000B56IFU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Sometimes I push things and don't drink enough water. Motrin knocks down a migraine if one starts up. Never needed anything more than that. Sometimes it's just joint pain since my body is adjusting to the physical workout and carrying the pack. Some off it is just getting old. After about a week my body adjusts and I really start to feel fantastic. This could be do to being acclimated to the altitude and workout and all the extra sleep I get while on a long trip.

I think the biggest improvement other than the lighter weight of the gear is how nice the lighter footwear is on my feet. I love doing long trips blister free. I think hiking poles keep my legs from complaining on long down hill stretches.
Jeff
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

I carry meds in my first aid kit for me or anyone I meet in need.

Ibuprofen: Anti-inflammatory to prevent inflammation of muscles, joints, etc during the first few days of the trek and to prevent the inflammation that causes headaches at high altitude. (this one is used the most).

Tylenol: Have it, never used it.

Benydryl: For allergic reactions and I use it for sleep aid first 2 days of trek. This ensures that I get the sleep that is needed for body to make more erythrocytes for acclimating.

Albuterol: For slow allergic reactions affecting breathing. Never used it.

Ventolin Inhaler: For emergency allergic reactions that stops breathing. Never used it.

Vicodin: A couple in case me or anyone in need really needs it due to emergency.

420: For everything, including winding down after a hard days trek. :cool: :D
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Advil, benadryl, and zyrtec all wrapped in foil, and immodium in those individual gas station packets.