Solar Power near Manzanar

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Solar Power near Manzanar

Post by kd6swa »

Just saw this in the Inyo Register:
LADWP’s plan calls for a 200 megawatt facility: 1-2 million ground-mounted photovoltaic panels, a 600 by 500-foot (300,000 square-foot) substation built on seven acres and a 3,000 square-foot, single-story maintenance building. The entire 1,200 acres would be cleared of vegetation and graded; access roads would be built; and fencing and nighttime outdoor lighting would be erected.

This is being planned for on the East side of 395, across from the Manzanar Relocation center.

KD6SWA :thumbsdown:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Solar Power near Manzanar

Post by Rockchucker »

I'm all for alternative sources of energy, but these wind farms and solar arrays are a blight on the land. This will kill a lot of wildlife habitat and affect many of our elk herds, deer herds, and many small animals. Quail and chukar will abandon the area, silt from runoff will take its toll on the fish in the Owens river. Simply a bad idea. Why can't these companies lease space on top of strip malls, Home Depots, areas already impacted by man. Not pristine desert valley floors.

Funny how environmental groups piss and moan over a tiny single track motorcycle trail but turns a blind eye on complete destruction of hundreds if not thousands of acres, wholesale, pristine desert. It baffles me completely.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

kd6swa,

can you point to the plan and any EIR or review? It would be helpful.

russ
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Post by kd6swa »

Russ,
here is one paper on the topic.
http://www.ladwpnews.com/external/conte ... yout-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will try to find the link to the maps - 2 sites - on across from Manzanar and the other alternative site at North end of Owne's lake.

KD6SWA
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Post by kd6swa »

Russ,
here is the another link:
http://infrascapedesign.wordpress.com/c ... wens-lake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KD6SWA
Last edited by kd6swa on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

that link doesn't help. it requires an LADWP login. Pretty sure i don't want or need one.

EDIT: after the edit, it gives me a pointer to a blog. Barry seems against it. Nice maps.. But where is the public review or doesn't LADWP follow rules (guessing not). Who in Inyo county signs off on this? assuming it means jobs and jobs/taxation income would be meaningful to them, regardless of landscape "changes."

1200 acres.. ouch.