Dog Packing

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dog Packing

Post by maverick »

Those of you who backpack with your dogs, what do you feed you dog while out, and
what brand of food has been the most popular? What do you use for a bowl (food)?
Do you carry a leash, and do you use it? Do you leash your dog at night? Do you carry
a dedicated sit pad/sleeping pad for your dog?
If you got your dog in the past few years have you geared most of your trips to areas
where you can take your dog along with you now? How do you deal with creek crossings?
Does lightning scare your dog? How does it react to snow?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Dog Packing

Post by Rockchucker »

I take my dog backpacking quite a bit. Let's see, I feed her happy hips, very good high caloric, quality food. She has a small cloth collapsible bowl( I don't know the brand)

No leash ( go ahead and flame)

She sleeps on a cut down ridge rest pad that she carries.

I try to find dog friendly areas or areas that lack tons of people ( although she's quite a lover and not aggressive towards people unless they act threatening)

She loves water so streams arn't a problem.

She goes hunting with me so loud noise doesn't affect her.

Lastly we hike in snow all year so she's very snow capable.

My big concern of late has been water, after some very informative post here I've become concerned about filtering her water, the problem is she is usually drinking from the stream or what ever long before I can stop her and make her wait until I get my filter out and get her some water.
I'm no suture for my future.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I always bring my shepherd mix Freddog with me. If my late Annie has passed closer to summer I would have done some hiking and backpacking in SEKI before getting another dog, but 7 months was way too long to wait. I specifically looked for a dog that could hike at altitude and be off leash and friendly to others on the trail (as well as being cat friendly). I bring his regular dry food (TJ), and treats, next time I will bring extra as I believe he may have kept me awake all night on our last trip because he was hungry. I use his collapsible cloth water bowl. I carry a leash to use if not so friendly dogs come around, and put his leash on him inside the tent at night, just in case we need to go out - he is very curious and I don't want him chasing anything in the dark. I will be bringing a thicker pad for him next time. As we have only done overnight trips, he doesn't need to carry his own food. He was fearful of getting his toes wet when I adopted him in January, now he goes right through the creeks and wade into lakes, and will cross a bridge or plank if it isn't too narrow, but doesn't have any interest in swimming, even when other dogs are doing so. He is fine with snow; I did leash him up a few times last year when I was concerned about snow bridges or other dangers. The creeks in the Owens Valley are mostly frozen now, so he is getting some good lessons about ice. He is not fearful of thunder or fireworks. I wouldn't mind hiking or backpacking alone - but he's a great dog, full of love and joy, I cannot imagine going on a trip without him.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do most of my solo hiking w/o the dog because I usually go in areas where dogs are not allowed. The dog is my husbands dog so when he goes, so does the dog. We look for paw-friendly trails since our dog is still young. So far we carry everything; next summer she will be big enough to carry stuff. Food is Taste of the Wild - same as at home. She also gets part of our food and a third of the fish we catch. No bowl (we do not use bowls either - we all eat out of the cook pot). We feed her after we eat - that way she also cleans the pot (I just wipe out the pot- next meal water is boiled so the pot is sterilized). We take a sized-down ridge-rest with a fleece cover. She is very furry - long haired- so we need to bring a brush next year. Pitch in fur is a problem. She loves to swim so no problem with creeks. Never taken her out in lightning yet. Take a leash but she free roams on the trail. She does not chase animals. We put the leash on if an unruly other dog passes. Most cases we move off trail and have her sit until the others pass. I have to tie her up when I fish because she jumps in the lake after the lures and tries to bite the fishing line.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I think that the breed of the dog has a lot to do with what is needed for them to be successful and comfortable in the backcountry. I have two dachshunds that hiked nearly 25 miles last summer with my wife and I and after asking questions here and searching the internet (hiking with dogs was new to us), felt very comfortable with our decisions for equipping them.
Here is what worked for us:

Food--same food they eat at home. Don't want to try something new with them and end up with diarrhea. We tried doggie energy bars and they hated them. Brought bacon flavored doggie sticks (look like slim jims) and they loved them.

Bowl--we cut the bottom out of a plastic 2 liter bottle for their food and water. Perfect for them and very light. Bigger dog will need something larger.

Water--we do put filtered water into their bowl but they will drink (and ours lay) in any stream, river or lake you come upon. Hard to stop that since dogs seem to drink out of anything.

Leash--yes we carry a leash for both of them but usually only use it if there are people around or we need to keep them (one loves to explore) in control. Some people will come right up to your dog and want to pet them. That is up to you but if your dog is hesitant around strangers, be vocal and let people know that touching them might not be a good idea.

Pad/bag--I wrote to a sleeping bag company and asked if I could buy a mummy bag that was sent in under warranty and would be disposed of since I did not want a smelly, wet, dirty dog in my nice clean down bag. Kelty/Slumberjack sent me a used 20 degree mummy bag (looked new) for free. I cut off the top third of the bag and sewed it up making a mini dog sleeping bag that fits both of our dogs perfectly and only weighs 1lb. If it gets cold, I cinch up the top to keep them warm and in their bag (they like to migrate to ours in the morning). A larger dog would need a pad to sleep/relax on. A closed foam pad would probably work and you could cut it to size. Add a blanket or jacket if in colder conditions.

Packs--we have an xxsmall for one of our dogs. Carries maybe 2 cups of food in it and occasionally we make him wear it. A bigger dog can easily carry a pack with their supplies if you get them used to it beforehand.

Creek crossings--if going through the creek, we pick them up but they will go right through it if is shallow enough. If crossing on a log, we either pick them up or let them follow us. I think this situation all depends on water flow, depth and dog (will they walk/swim through the creek).

Poop--if they go on the trail, please kick or push it out into nature.

Other things to consider. Their paws will get eaten up if hiking on a lot of rock or broken up rock. We bought some paw protector solution that helped to toughen up their paws but forget exactly what it is called. Bring alcohol for getting sap out of their fur and paws and a towel to wipe them down, helping them to keep them dry and clean. Never been in lightning and have encountered some but not enough snow to effect our dogs.

Hope this helps
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here are a few shots of my hounds at the THs ready to go:

They carry their own food and sometimes a few adult beverages as well. Sleeping on the ground is good enough for them, no pads or bags. Bears are never a problem when the dogs are around, which is a nice benefit. They can wreak havoc on the fishing, as labs are notorious water dogs.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

now you're making me want to get another lab.. :crybaby:

They carry their own food and sometimes a few adult beverages as well. Sleeping on the ground is good enough for them, no pads or bags. Bears are never a problem when the dogs are around, which is a nice benefit. They can wreak havoc on the fishing, as labs are notorious water dogs.
Umm, sleeping on the ground with no pad or cover is not ok in my book. Depends on conditions, but they feel the same way we do. They are your family as well. You'd be surprised how fast they climb under a quilt or into a bag. They also sleep more sound.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Good input from folks so far, and yes we have had previous discussions about
man's/women's best friend, like water and paw protection, but my intent here
is also to bring some awareness to some issues that we has humans suffer from
like hypothermia, dehydration, altitude sickness. Are you aware that these and
many other conditions exist with your friend? How do you deal/address theses
issues? Do you carry extra food for you dog in case your delayed or injured in
the backcountry? If your dog got seriously ill what would you do? Would you
activate your SPOT? For those of you who have been packed with dogs for a long
time, what sage tidbits of advice can you pass on to other dog owners which will
make their dogs time in the backcountry funner, more comfortable, and also safer.

Cute dogs Jeff! My sister had two tan Labradors, great dogs, and they loved water!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Good questions Maverick. I try to remember that with our dogs, they have needs that must be met. We walk them a lot to get them (and us) in shape for the trips. They are small and have very little fur and need to be kept warm, hence the jacket and sleeping bag. They love to walk in the creek, so we bring a towel. They are older and have had back issues--doggie aspirin and muscle relaxers.

We did find that they ate less of their food when hiking and packed a lot of their food out. But to make sure they were eating enough, we have cooked up a few extra trout and after de-boning them, those 10" fish usually disappear in less than 30 seconds. We even mixed fish into their dog food to make them eat it all and the little suckers picked all of the fish out #-o

As for hydration, being tired and altitude sickness, I think knowing your dogs behavior is the key. If they are acting different than normal, something could and probably is wrong.

For me, I love to watch people's reaction to our dogs in the backcountry. Last Memorial day, we were at Spanish Lake and had a few people hike by our camp. It was funny watching people, who were tired and out of breath, reaction to seeing our dachshund's chilling in camp with their little jackets on--one blue and one pink. Most seem to get a good laugh out of it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Snowtrout.

Here is a compilation of dogs & backpacking posts (not TR's):

- When is my dog ready to pack: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p70241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- How do you prepare for a backpacking trip: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p25396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Dogs in a tent: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p76075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- What mosquito/bug avoidance techniques for your dog: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p56807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Eating raw fish: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p69831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Dog got hit by a rattlesnake: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ogs#p67913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;