Info Needed on The Miter

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Info Needed on The Miter

Post by flyfisher70 »

Looking for some info on backpacking into the Miter Basin, I want to explore some of the lakes in the area, esp Sky-Blue Lake, and Iridescent Lake. I also want to summit Mount Langley, most likely route would be over New Army Pass and then on down to Rock Creek. Here is where I don't see a trail on my NatGeo topo program. Rock Creek looks like the most obvious crosscountry route to The Miter and the lakes around that area, it also leads me towards Crabtree Pass which looks fairly easy. This would then lead down to Crabtree Lakes where I spotted the John Muir trail that would take me up to Mt Whitney which I would like to try and summit as well.. Is there a well traveled crosscountry trail through the Passes or Meadows along Rock Creek? If anyone has any info on this route I would much appreciate it.

Thanks
Benny
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Info Needed on The Miter

Post by maverick »

Some previous TR's that will give you some idea and info:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... abtree+pas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... pas#p70999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... abtree+pas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Crap, I can't find how to make this show up. Click on the "image coming soon" icon. I did what you are wanting a few years ago. From Old Army pass to Sky Blue Lk. The x country around the ridge north of upper soldier lk is straight forward, easy walking. Stay at the top of the tree line, in view of the ridge as it climbs out of the trees.
P8100682.JPG
This is a view from the ridge between Sky Blue Lk and Irrridecent Lk looking down at the whole of upper Rock Creek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jimr on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Jimr wrote:I did what you are wanting a few years ago. From Old Army pass to Sky Blue Lk. The x country around the ridge north of upper soldier lk is straight forward, easy walking. Stay at the top of the tree line, in view of the ridge as it climbs out of the trees.
Yes this works. This is the route my wife and I took in 1996. You don't have to go over New Army Pass, but you can take off from New Army pass as if you're headed toward Langley, which means first descending to the Old Army Pass then ascending toward Langley until about 12400, then stay approximately on contour (which takes you west of the ridgecrest while maintaining a NNW heading) until you are overlooking the west draining swale down to Upper Soldier. In this swale you will encounter a sandy use trail leading down to Upper Soldier (this part is all class 1). Once at Upper Soldier head NW gaining a small amount of elevation to a bit over 11200 (probably something in the 11300 range). The goal here is to avoid cliffs above and below (this part is class 2 if you are at the correct altitude). You end up near this tiny lakelet SW of the Major General (11200+) from there you can more or less contour in a north to NNE heading so as not to lose unnecessary elevation into lower Miter Basin (class 1). It is an easy walk up lower Miter Basin (class 1) toward Sky Blue with some class 2 slabs and talus just below the lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Given a low snow year and a late season hike, Old Army pass would be a good choice, cutting a small amount of mileage and it's lower than NAP.
Here's a pic of me at the outlet below Sky Blue Lk.
P8100690.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hi Benny

I was just in that area last week. The crux of that trip is getting thru the cliff band between Sky Blue and the upper most lake. In the past I've gone both east of the creek (steep slabs) and west of the creek. The western route up into a small lake basin then east back to lake 12,125 I find easier.

You'll pick up a steep use trail on the north side of Crabtree pass then loose it above upper Crabtree Lake. Stay high above that lake, cliffs on the north shore. A good trail will take you from the lower lake to Crabtree Meadow.

Happy Trails!
_MG_2644.jpg
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted

Post by flyfisher70 »

Thank you much guys.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The inlet of Sky Blue Lake is quite a beautiful spot. Crabtree Lakes are really great too.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Oakboy,

In response to your inquiry posted two days ago (Dec 14):

From the outlet of Lower Soldier Lake, hike north along the western shore until you almost reach the end of the lake. From there it is an easy scramble to get above the lake. After the terrain levels out, do not hike down to Rock Creek. Rather remain high as you hike north and let the creek come up to you.

Next year I'll be out in the Miter Basin too. What an awesome area!

Jim F
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'll be back through that area again next year as well. Part of the meet-up plans farther north.