Backpacking Ojai/Santa Barbara area

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by jessegooddog »

I am hoping to spend some time in Ojai and Santa Barbara this spring when everything is green and blooming. Hotel costs are prohibitive, and public campsites are too noisy, so I am looking to hike in to a safe place to overnight near Ojai, and the Santa Barbara/Figueroa Mtn area. I am not as comfortable being by myself down south as I am in the Sierra, so I really want to be hidden, but without big miles with a backpack. Any suggestions? I will have my dog so state and national parks are out. I prefer a non permit area for flexability.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Backpacking Ojai/Santa Barbara area

Post by Rockchucker »

All area of the Los padres nat forest requires not only hiking permit but also parking permit. Figueroa mnt. is a ways off from Ojia. You can camp in rose valley which is off the 33 and hike the Sespe above Ojia. There is a bunch of camping in the whole area but it usually busy and requires permits.
I'm no suture for my future.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Figueroa Mtn in a good wildflower year rivals anywhere else on earth. The more I think about it, that's where I want to go this spring if we get the rains. Anyone have experience backpacking there? I am wondering about solitude near the creek during the week.
jdub
Founding Member

Post by jdub »

Take a look at the Matilija Canyon area.

The guys from the Patagonia Iron Works in Ventura go up there all the time.

I think they want to tear down the old damn.

I haven't been there in a while, but there are lots of hot springs, and a little honor system fruit stand. If someone is in a pool, keep hiking, I remember lots of tubs. You will smell them before you see them.

Also the Sespe comes out in Fillmore, it is a lot lower than the Lion Campground section, but I have never hiked that end.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

jdub wrote:Take a look at the Matilija Canyon area.

The guys from the Patagonia Iron Works in Ventura go up there all the time.

I think they want to tear down the old damn.

I haven't been there in a while, but there are lots of hot springs, and a little honor system fruit stand. If someone is in a pool, keep hiking, I remember lots of tubs. You will smell them before you see them.

Also the Sespe comes out in Fillmore, it is a lot lower than the Lion Campground section, but I have never hiked that end.
The lower section if the Sespe is all private property, closest access is Tar creek to the N.

They have talked for years about taking the dam down, the problem is all the silt that is built up behind the dam. The hot springs are lukewarm at best and often attract odd balls and sometimes gangsters. Matilija has the most Western Diamond back rattlers I have ever seen. The place is thick with them.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

There is car camping at Davy Brown and Nira, or you take hike the Manzana trail upstream from Nira to Fish camp. These areas are in the shadow of Figueroa. Then there is the Lower Santa Ynez river area and the Santa Cruz trailhead at Little Oso where the possibilities are endless (19 Oaks camp for starters). An excellent resource is http://santabarbarahikes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
If we don't get some rain soon, the display will be minimal. BTW, the most interesting wildflowers can be seen in the nooks and crannies of the Los Padres, I have seen some stunning displays on shady road cuts going into the Upper Santa Ynez drainage and on the side of the trail near Little Oso. Not vast displays of Lupine and Poppies, but delicate specimens that defy the harsh and dry chapperal surroundings.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I love snakes, including rattlers, but my dog runs loose when hiking so perhaps Matilija on a warm spring day wouldn't be ideal. But I'm getting some good suggestions here, thanks!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I too like snakes, rattlers warn you " rattle rattle, hey don't step on me!!!!" I can't stand people who want to kill them, usually the same people who complain that there are to many mice.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Rockchucker wrote:All area of the Los padres nat forest requires not only hiking permit but also parking permit. Figueroa mnt. is a ways off from Ojia. You can camp in rose valley which is off the 33 and hike the Sespe above Ojia. There is a bunch of camping in the whole area but it usually busy and requires permits.
Nowhere in the los padres requires wilderness permits. They do require campfire permits to use stoves and build fires. You do need the adventure pass in the southern region of the Los Padres but not in the Monterey District. An interagency national parks pass works in the place of an adventure pass if you have one.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

AlmostThere wrote:
Rockchucker wrote:All area of the Los padres nat forest requires not only hiking permit but also parking permit. Figueroa mnt. is a ways off from Ojia. You can camp in rose valley which is off the 33 and hike the Sespe above Ojia. There is a bunch of camping in the whole area but it usually busy and requires permits.
Nowhere in the los padres requires wilderness permits. They do require campfire permits to use stoves and build fires. You do need the adventure pass in the southern region of the Los Padres but not in the Monterey District. An interagency national parks pass works in the place of an adventure pass if you have one.
Thank you, I stand corrected. I'm planning a winter trip to the Sespe this year. It's been well over 10 years since I've spent much time there. My 10 yo will love it!