SNOWSTORM IN SIERRA-ANYONE INTERESTED N GOING FOR SNOWSHOE/H

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: SNOWSTORM IN SIERRA-ANYONE INTERESTED N GOING FOR SNOWSHOE/H

Post by EpicSteve »

Thanks for all the info, zorobabel! It's good to have an update on conditions. But based on the fact that it rained all day today in Oakhurst (more precip than I'd heard about in the forecast), I think I'll be taking the snowshoes and associated gear anyway. If I end up carrying it on my pack the whole time, then so be it. Better safe than sorry. BTW, sounds like you hiked a fun route. I've only just started exploring SEKI in the past few seasons, since I live so close to Yosemite. I've been surprised at what a different character SEKI has from Yosemite. I'm psyched to see more of it.

DAVELA: I'm glad you had such a great time! I agree with you about the views from Hwy 395. The Owens Valley is just unbelievably beautiful. Congrats on your first snow camp! Geat fun, eh? :D
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

Ouch! The National Weather Service has issued an urgent Winter Storm Watch advisory that made me change my mind about backpacking this weekend. Dealing with overnight lows of 10 degrees F and winds up to 10 - 15 MPH was going to be enough challenge/risk. But now they're predicting that on Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon, the snow level will lower from around 2,500' to near 1,000' from Yosemite to Kings Canyon.

Snow accumulations of 1" - 6" in the foothills, 6" - 12" above 4,000' and up to 2 FEET possible at "the highest elevations." Wind gusts around 60 MPH over highest elevations!

"LOCATIONS INCLUDE: CAMP NELSON...GIANT FOREST...JOHNSONDALE...LODGEPOLE...SHAVER LAKE...HUNTINGTON LAKE...YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK...THREE RIVERS...SPRINGVILLE...MARIPOSA...OAKHURST"

So not only would the hike be extremely ill-advised, but so would the ENTIRE drive to Sequoia National Park and back to Oakhurst. Rats! There goes my 4-day winter hike.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Sorry for your loss EpicSteve, but BRING ON THE SNOW!! :)