Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Near Boy Scout Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Near Boy Scout Lakes

Post by orbitor »

These two guys were lucky.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/11/27/363 ... eroic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Near Boy Scout Lakes

Post by zorobabel »

It looks like I'm carrying the snowshoes this weekend, thanks for posting this.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

zorobabel wrote:It looks like I'm carrying the snowshoes this weekend, thanks for posting this.
Where are you heading to, zorobabel?
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted

Post by zorobabel »

orbitor wrote:
zorobabel wrote:It looks like I'm carrying the snowshoes this weekend, thanks for posting this.
Given the road conditions/closures, I'll most likely start in Wolverton and head out on the HST, maybe loop back through the Tablelands. Or maybe start in Lodgepole - Silliman Pass - Seville Lake and loop back through Jo Pass. I haven't made up my mind yet.
How about you?
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

zorobabel wrote:
orbitor wrote:
Given the road conditions/closures, I'll most likely start in Wolverton and head out on the HST, maybe loop back through the Tablelands. Or maybe start in Lodgepole - Silliman Pass - Seville Lake and loop back through Jo Pass. I haven't made up my mind yet.
How about you?
I'd like to climb Mt. Silliman, so thinking of heading to the same area as you. Either camping out at Lodgepole by the car, or snowshoeing in to Silliman Meadow or Silliman Lake and setting up base camp there. I only have Friday-Saturday available. If interested in joining forces, let me know.
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted

Post by zorobabel »

I'll be enjoying the full 4 day weekend... maybe next time. I've been wanting to go up Silliman myself, I missed the Silliman Creek junction this June and ended up doing something else.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Have a successful and safe trip. Note that the NWS does in fact forecast some weather coming through with a 20 percent chance of snow on Thursday and Friday.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

Hi zorobabel, how did your weekend go? What were the snow conditions like? I'm thinking of heading up to Silliman this weekend on a 4-day trip. Would love to get some use out of my snowshoes, but when I hiked from Yosemite Valley up to May Lake two weeks ago, I encountered very little snow and never more than 2 inches deep. Of course, that's a lot lower in elevation but even on the high peaks in the distance, there was very little snow.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

EpicSteve wrote:Hi zorobabel, how did your weekend go? What were the snow conditions like? I'm thinking of heading up to Silliman this weekend on a 4-day trip. Would love to get some use out of my snowshoes, but when I hiked from Yosemite Valley up to May Lake two weeks ago, I encountered very little snow and never more than 2 inches deep. Of course, that's a lot lower in elevation but even on the high peaks in the distance, there was very little snow.
EpicSteve,
I can also provide updates on Silliman since I was there over there Thanksgiving break. No snow at Lodgepole. We left our snowshoes in the car. Twin Lakes trail clear to the off-trail turnoff at Silliman Creek (7500'), with patches of ice in shady spots. Use trail to Silliman Meadow clear for the most part, wider patches of snow about 1" deep on north-facing slopes. Granite slabs to the lakes were clear where facing south, under a thin layer of ice and snow where facing north. Both Silliman lakes were frozen solid at the surface. Camp at 10,000' was NOT in the snow. In fact, we hiked all the way to the summit without once thinking to put on traction. It's appalling how dry it is up there still. The north and west sides of Mt. Silliman had better snow coverage. From the summit, we didn't see solid snow again until near the Sierra Crest in Kings Canyon high country. Disappointing winter so far. Good luck!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Orbitor,

Would really enjoy seeing a TR with photo's of your trip in separate post, is this
in the works?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org