SNOWSTORM IN SIERRA-ANYONE INTERESTED N GOING FOR SNOWSHOE/H

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

SNOWSTORM IN SIERRA-ANYONE INTERESTED N GOING FOR SNOWSHOE/H

Post by DAVELA »

Looks like a decent dump is coming.Anyone interested in going up to big pine/willow lake or little lakes valley?Somewhat relaxed pace.Can carpool from the LA area.
Im not sure yet of this so its tentative.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Re: SNOWSTORM IN SIERRA-ANYONE INTERESTED N GOING FOR SNOWSHOE/H

Post by jessegooddog »

You may not need to go that far, the southern sierra really got dumped on yesterday. It snowed all day in the Owens Valley, sadly most of it has already melted. But the Sierra and INYO mountains are as white as can be! I tried to post pics from my iphone but kept getting told my file was too big. I am just learning how to use it. I did get a few on HST FB page, taken this morning.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

thanks for the update jesse.
i am wondering which roads to the trailheads will get plowed?Wondering if they plow the big pine road to glacier lodge,also mosquito flat,,,and south lake in sabrrina basin? i know they dont plow the onion valley road.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I don't believe any of the trailhead roads in the Inyo forest are plowed once winter snows set in. Onion Valley is plowed halfway up to the 7 Pines cabins, as is the road to Aspendell out of Bishop. Rock Creek Road is only plowed to the Snow Park half way up, and there is a fee to use that area. Anyone know about Lundy or Virginia Lakes, or the northern section of the June Lakes loops as far as the Parker and Walker (private cabin here) cutoff?
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Bishop creek gets plowed to aspendale.
I'm no suture for my future.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Doesn't the road from Big Pine to Glacier Lodge get plowed?

I believe the road to Convict Lake Resort gets plowed.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

glacier lodge road gets plowed by county according to bishop ranger..anyway it was all clear and the sierra are full of snow and look awesome...lots of snowshoeing above 8500ft or so...about 1 ft around 9k

mosquito flat road is gated at rock creek pack station...
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

DAVELA: I don't know what time frame you were interested in, but it sounds like you're into doing something on the east side of the Sierra and that's a bit far for me. But just in case...

Does anyone know much about current conditions on the west side of SEKI? I have a four day weekend coming up, starting on Friday. Thinking about starting from Lodgepole and doing a loop around Mt. Silliman. Wondering if I'll need snowshoes, snow shovel, powder baskets for trekking poles and snow stakes for tent... or just normal baskets and Microspikes for any icy sections. I'll probably bring an ultralight ice axe either way, just in case.

NOAA's latest 7-day forecast for Silliman Lake predicts Friday night as the harshest conditions during this period: "Partly cloudy, with a low around 9. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph." There's a 20% chance of snow showers tonight; 50% tomorrow ("new snow accumulation of less than one inch possible") and 40% tomorrow night. No other mention of snow, but I don't know how much that last storm may have deposited and there's precious little info on NPS' SEKI website.

Hard to tell from here in Oakhurst. All I can really see is Shuteye Ridge. Most of the visible snow from that last storm has melted. Obviously the prudent thing is to be overprepared if I'm not sure, but I'd hate to carry the extra weight if it's not needed. Especially since I'll be heavily loaded anyway, with such cold temps predicted.

Ridiculously short notice, but if anyone wants to come, I'll be going this Friday - Monday. Thinking about Lodgepole to Silliman Pass and Beville Lake; XC to Crescent Lake and the Tablelands; then down the Lakes Trail and back to Lodgepole. Incidentally, I am NOT an ultralight backpacker. I'll probably be carrying 45 - 53 lbs or so.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted

Post by zorobabel »

Steve,

I was out 11/28-12/1; I started at Wolverton, made my way to the HST, crossed Pterodactyl Pass into the Tablelands and returned via Lakes trail.
Lower elevations had little or no snow, depending on slope orientation. The Tablelands had more snow, between 0 and 50 cm with an average of about 20 cm. Plenty of rocks were poking through the snow. As I descended, the granite slabs N of the creek became pretty much snow free.
The not so deep and soft snow made foot placement a crap shoot. The snowshoes stayed on the pack, so did the hiking pole cups.
It was relatively warm during daytime so I didn't have to deal with ice much, but it looks like it will be colder in your planned timeframe.
The soft snow and the frozen ground didn't help with anchoring the tent.
I hope this helps...
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

HI Steve,
thanks,i already went this weekend.It was beautiful with all that snow.It was my first snowcamp.
Side commentary:the range from the 395 is one spectacular,glorious sight to behold.Its as spectacular as the backcountry .Just incredible to be able to see all that beauty on an unobstructed 125 mile canvas.You dont have to hike or climb,you can just park your butt and take it all in and watch the 'show'.God,i love the owens valley and 395.