What do you Professional's use on a Point & Shoot Camera?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What do you Professional's use on a Point & Shoot Camera?

Post by LightRanger »

Buddy who works and does PR stuff for a pro photo place in Portland loves his LX5. As I love mine.

If I was buying right now, I'd strongly consider a Sony RX100.

Sent from a tricorder using Tapatalk
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

RX100 is nice if you want to spend that much on a walk-around camera or if this is your own camera and you want something nice and compact. However, that much money usually has me contemplate items such as a new lens for my DSLR and shoot the old 8MP point and shoot I already own

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... x100.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bumping this thread. Cyber Monday is upon us. Any updates on great compact P&S cameras that we should look at?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well for a point and shoot I can't really complain about the Canon G1X. All my photos last year from week 11-16 were taken with it. It is important to note I shoot in manual only using RAW. The camera has a couple features I liked such as an ND filter for slow water shots and a tilt shift setting to play around with.

I suppose the two biggest draw backs to me is you actually have a lens cap you have to deal with and the thing is on the slow side.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

let me be more precise. a good camera for cheap with >12MP, LIon batteries, and image stabilization.
I don't think I want a lens cap. Slow is bad.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here you go Russ: http://www.point-and-shoot-camera-revie ... eviews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org