Second SEKI bud in a year on his last trail

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Second SEKI bud in a year on his last trail

Post by oldranger »

Boy what a couple of years. Guess that is what happens when you get old--your friends start to die off and your mortality becomes more and more a reality that cannot be denied.

Duncan Hollar (58) the Roaring River Ranger before me.

Larry Conn (early 50s)--someone we all know but few of us had the opportunity to meet.

Mark Urban (40) smokejumper killed while testing chute deployment device. A good friend and my son in law's best friend and the husband of my daughter's best friend.

Jack Farmer (85) backcountry horseman, good friend, loaned me his stock so I could pack my family into Roaring River when I was the ranger. A least Jack got a full measure but a loss none the less. When i tried to visit him this summer he was in SF getting checked out at a hospital there. I missed my last opportunity to share memories.

Flying down for a last campfire with old friends to reminisce.

Don't pass up an opportunity to make contact with people that matter in your life.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Second SEKI bud in a year on his last trail

Post by Rockchucker »

Sorry about your loss. I totally agree , contact those who matter because you never know what tomorrow brings.
I'm no suture for my future.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Re: Second SEKI bud in a year on his last trail

Post by Timberline »

Losing close friends, mentors, any special relationship with another who passes, is always hard. My sympathies, Mike. Maybe we can get together & raise a toast to those memories when you get back home.
Safe travels.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!