Traditional sleeping bag vs quilts.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Traditional sleeping bag vs quilts.

Post by AlmostThere »

Oh, you get tucked in nice and snug in a quilt - more snugly than I did in a bag that's too big.

That's actually one of the things about quilts that led to me being warmer than I was in the bag, I think.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

AlmostThere wrote:Oh, you get tucked in nice and snug in a quilt - more snugly than I did in a bag that's too big.
A too bag bag? Maybe. One could say the same about a too small quilt. But a nicely fitted bag is snugglier than a nicely fitted quilt. Advection happens with both when you roll but quilts are more prone to that form of heat loss.

The question, still unanswered for me, is whether a bag or quilt of same total weight and same type of fabric and insulation is warmer than the other. It may be one of those "it depends" kind of questions.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

longri wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Oh, you get tucked in nice and snug in a quilt - more snugly than I did in a bag that's too big.
A too bag bag? Maybe. One could say the same about a too small quilt. But a nicely fitted bag is snugglier than a nicely fitted quilt. Advection happens with both when you roll but quilts are more prone to that form of heat loss.

The question, still unanswered for me, is whether a bag or quilt of same total weight and same type of fabric and insulation is warmer than the other. It may be one of those "it depends" kind of questions.
I'm not sure but I think it does depend - and I don't have nearly so many issues with quilts as I do with bags. So my math, my money and my bets are pretty clear. I never get really warm in a bag the way I do in a quilt.

Have I been in many bags? Not really. Don't intend to bother, either. So someone else will have to do the test driving and get back to you on that. I prefer to be comfortable.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Lots of good responses and sharing of personal experiences and preferences. Some of us sleep warm, cold, move around, value weight over certain comforts, need to exit at a moments notice, etc. It is certainly not a one size/model fits all situations for everyone. I like the flexibility of my quilt since I can release the bottom footbox and have it become a straight blanket when the temps are moderate or cinch it up when it gets colder. I made it wide enough so drafts aren't an issue. I have used it several times this last year including my JMT trip and didn't ever come close to being cold. I also move around a ton and have felt claustrophobic in a mummy bag in the past. If I did more trips in the shoulder months I would most likely add to the arsenal by making a 10 degree quilt.

Another thing to consider is the kind of pad you use, if you use one at all. I have an Exped SynMat UL (which I love) that provides an R-value of 3.1 so that also adds to my warmth and comfort :)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Drivefly44 wrote:
Lots of good responses and sharing of personal experiences and preferences. Some of us sleep warm, cold, move around, value weight over certain comforts, need to exit at a moments notice, etc. It is certainly not a one size/model fits all situations for everyone.
Amen! Lets not carryout this thread with no added info but just trying to get the last word in.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Tim is having a sale on quilts so I bit the bullet and ordered one of his new Enigma 30* I'll post a few pics as sone as I get it.
I'm no suture for my future.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

longri wrote: The question, still unanswered for me, is whether a bag or quilt of same total weight and same type of fabric and insulation is warmer than the other. It may be one of those "it depends" kind of questions.
For the same weight, the quilt would have more down to be equal weight and more down on top of you, so it should be warmer.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

My wife and I have been using a Jardine kit quilt for years and love it. The instructions were terrible but she figured it out.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

longri wrote:Is this -- the constraints of mummy, hood and zipper -- the main reason quilts are popular?
Or is it mainly a question of fashion?
Or could there be a weight advantage?
I switched to a quilt this past season (Enlightened Equipment) for two main reasons: 1) I found that I opened up my traditional 20 deg mummy and used it like a quilt anyhow (I sleep warm); and 2) the weight savings. After one season I really like the quilt.

As an unplanned bonus, I went on a Nov hike in the Sierras and took both. I used the quilt over the mummy and stayed toasty warm for just over a pound beyond the weight of the mummy. Plus I had a quilt to wrap up in while sipping Fireball and looking at the stars with my buds!
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

"For the same weight, the quilt would have more down to be equal weight and more down on top of you, so it should be warmer"

My experience has been that a quilt is much warmer for the weight. I use a winter quilt that weighs 22.5 ozs, with 16.5 ozs of 900 fp down, and have slept warm in 10 degrees. Most mummy bags with a similar temp rating would weigh twice as much. I bring a down beanie anyway so I don't have to bring anything extra for my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk