2013 Hike Photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2013 Hike Photos

Post by ondafringe »

fishmonger wrote:
ondafringe wrote:
Not the ideal situation but the best I could come up with under the circumstances. Unfortunately, now it takes 3x the space to store each shot.
in 2013, talking about storage being a problem doesn't really make much sense.
Nowhere did I say storage was at a premium or storage was expensive. I simply made a statement of fact: 3x storage = 3x longer to go through all the shots.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

austex wrote:1+ bring memory cards....Light!
Also you may need new hiking partners. Consider another photo buff? Or a slow guy like me that needs to rest often... :smirk:
I have plenty of SD cards and always take an extra.

As for new day hiking partners, here in ABQ, all the senior centers have hiking programs run by volunteers. However, the city allows us to use their vans for transportation to/from the trail head and only charges each hiker 5 cents per mile. Hard to pass up such a good deal. :)
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

ondafringe wrote:
fishmonger wrote:
ondafringe wrote:
Not the ideal situation but the best I could come up with under the circumstances. Unfortunately, now it takes 3x the space to store each shot.
in 2013, talking about storage being a problem doesn't really make much sense.
Nowhere did I say storage was at a premium or storage was expensive. I simply made a statement of fact: 3x storage = 3x longer to go through all the shots.
you were talking about space, not time. Where exactly does it take that extra time to "go through the shots?" If you mean the time to transfer to the computer, that's usually a good time to brew up some coffee.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I would argue that CF cards are still a bit expensive. It cost me 500 dollars to buy 10 32 gig cards for this summer. Although perhaps you don't need so many. :D

I really do need to get an ND filter. That was one option I loved on the G1X P&S.

I was some what limited this summer having only one lens. I bought the 35MM F1.4 L series lens. It did a nice job though. I did find that F1.4 was a bit too much for even star photos. I found myself using F2.0 for allot of those. As for weight yeah it was a **** to haul that camera all over the place but after being done I am happy I did. Although if I do this again next year I might not bring it.

I still would like to buy the 100-400MM lens but it's hard to spend 1600 dollars on something I would only use here and there for animal shots.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rogue wrote:
I still would like to buy the 100-400MM lens but it's hard to spend 1600 dollars on
something I would only use here and there for animal shots.
PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Wicked awesome. Thanks for sharing.The best imo; 90% above tree line beauty! WOW! I need to get out more often and for longer... :nod:
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierraholic »

Your pics just keep getting better! This week's pics are my favorite so far! Love every lake pic and panoramic from peaks! Just ridiculously beautiful! Since I have two young ones, I have to live vicariously through these pictures. I hope to just get out a total of a week next summer! :crybaby: One day, I will make it to that remote basin with lake 10,565 and Island Bird lake. Just awesome! \:D/
"Not all who wonder are lost!"