Sole Prints

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sole Prints

Post by maverick »

Here is a little background on one of the new features that will be shortly added
to the new Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form.

So, after trying to figure out a way to get a sole print from a shoe/boot without
using ink, which is what CSI Labs use, and not wanting to use something that
would either discolor or make the sole loose its grip, and trying out several
kitchen items, bingo! Food coloring, just the right thickness so the paper doesn't
absorb the liquid, nor does it bleed or run off the sheet of paper, and is widely
available. Apply the food coloring lightly with a brush to the threads of the
shoe/boot, one shoe at a time, put the shoe on, and roll from the ankle towards
the toe, placing your full weight on to it, and carefully lift to remove. Repeat with
the other shoe/boot. Allow to dry, and then add the important information in the
corner. When taking the photo be sure to keep the camera parallel with the print,
best to tape to the wall and take a picture, even better if you can use a tripod.
Use a zoom lens between 40-55mm to reduce any distortion. Either take it in black
& white or convert from color to black & white.
It is very important that you do this before each and every trip since the thread
patterns and wear patterns will change after your outing. These imperfections give
the shoe print their uniqueness, very much like a fingerprint, and allows SAR to
differentiate them from the 1000's of other footprints in the area.

Here is an example: http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s1/v ... 6619-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Sole Prints

Post by AlmostThere »

Foil impression of the sole is what we teach parents in Hug a Tree. Works for adults too.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sole Prints

Post by Rockchucker »

Wow that print is incredibly clear, great work!
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AT wrote:
Foil impression of the sole is what we teach parents in Hug a Tree. Works for adults too.
Right, and they do that at retirement homes for Alzheimer's patients too. That works
if one left it in the car, but for leaving with a family or friend, and then being able to
get it to the SAR/Sheriffs Dept quickly this is much more convenient, it also works
better since the threads/sole is hard to make out in a photo because of the
aluminum/reflection, a black sole on white paper print gives a fine print for
investigators to use.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

perhaps it could be duplicated in electronic format (make a .jpg out of it along side a ruler so you can see the size). If I have it at my home, 200 miles from where it is needed, I could just e-mail it or post it on the internet.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Ruler is a good point. At least write on the impression the actual overall length, sometimes the lug pattern isn't clear but the overall size of the print is left, Average stride is another factor in tracking, but of course that varies depending on terrain
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Could not find the ruler I was looking for when taking the original shot, so here is a
retake with the ruler:
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s5/v ... 4179-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd prefer the foil print option. I generally carry a roll of foil on the trip just in case we don't have enough for fish. So, I could just put my boots on, and step on two pieces and put them in the truck. First thing they'd break into to see if there are clues. Forensically, they could mold cast them or cook fish in them or recycle them; a SAR/Sheriff choice at that point.

The trip plan is way more important.

Sole prints are only helpful in certain areas, like around soft ground. I'm sure our SAR person will correct me if that's wrong. If the ground is heaving with frost, then it's kind of blown out if it's been 2 nights of heave, and the person isn't moving.

I did however see, while eating lunch on one trip, that my troupe had passed me as we all came down different routes, based on a shoe print i remembered.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:
AT wrote:
Right, and they do that at retirement homes for Alzheimer's patients too. That works
if one left it in the car, but for leaving with a family or friend, and then being able to
get it to the SAR/Sheriffs Dept quickly this is much more convenient, it also works
better since the threads/sole is hard to make out in a photo because of the
aluminum/reflection, a black sole on white paper print gives a fine print for
investigators to use.
FYI, imperfections on the sole don't matter - I'm a certified tracker and that's never even mentioned in training. Unless it's something significant like a missing lug, that radically changes the print, you don't even see any difference in the track due to wear of the shoe.

Model and size of the shoe is often enough if it's a popular brand - we like to know that as well, as if we find an actual shoe sitting there it would be nice to know to rule it out. ALSO, if you are carrying camp shoes, that data point is important - some lost folks will have a sole delaminate or some other issue that leads them to switch to the sneakers they brought, invalidating any of this prep work.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Tom Brown