Early-mid nov 395 camping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Early-mid nov 395 camping

Post by oldranger »

Hate to admit it but Kathy and I are getting a little old and have decided to purchase a large Teardrop style trailer. After searching all dealers in the US &Canada the only trailer outfitted like we wanted (minimum bells and whistles-no refrigerator, no tv or stereo, no shower or toilet) was in SoCal. So we will be pulling it up 395 to OR soon (absolutely detest I-5).

So question is: good places to pull over for the night off 395?. Especially first one a few hours n of San Bernadino.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. 30+ days of backpacking is still on my agenda for next summer. The trailer is for spring and fall road trips.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Early-mid nov 395 camping

Post by austex »

Maybe not the south end of your trip; but. some of the dispersed or free, they are at lower elevations:
https://sites.google.com/site/eyesoftheinyo/camping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Most of the campgrounds close nov 1st. If it was me I would camp on DWP property. Even though it is posted everywhere " no over night parking or camping" there is no enforcement, and millions of acres with easy access. DWP properties in the Owens valley are the largest privately owned lands that do NOT require written permission to trespass on. So pull over, set up your chairs, and mix up a drink! No one will run you off.
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

This should help Mike:
http://www.rv.net/Forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 467346.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org