Traditional sleeping bag vs quilts.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Traditional sleeping bag vs quilts.

Post by Rockchucker »

The subject has invaded many threads. As mentioned it's long over due conversation based on personal experience. Please refrain from bashing, name calling, or mud slinging.

I own both but have truly fallen in love with my quilt. I went with a Enlightened Equipment 20 deg down quilt. A few weeks ago I woke up and it was 12 deg and I was toasty warm. Yes I was wearing appropriate clothing, but not over doing it. I didn't even wear my down jacket, it was my pillow. Also I'm a side sleeper that tosses a bit at night but haven't experienced any draft problems.

Who's next???
I'm no suture for my future.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Traditional sleeping bag vs quilts.

Post by The Other Tom »

I'm also a quilt user and changed from a bag because I'm a side sleeper. I have to be a little careful to make sure it's "tucked in" to avoid a draft but I prefer it over a bag. Also, the weight savings is nice. For what it's worth, I have a jacks are better quilt. I must've spent an hour with them on the phone before I bought it, asking what-if questions. They were very patient and helpful.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

The Other Tom wrote:I'm also a quilt user and changed from a bag because I'm a side sleeper. I have to be a little careful to make sure it's "tucked in" to avoid a draft but I prefer it over a bag. Also, the weight savings is nice. For what it's worth, I have a jacks are better quilt. I must've spent an hour with them on the phone before I bought it, asking what-if questions. They were very patient and helpful.
I would like to see some of the JrB stuff. I have browsed their site quite a bit. I also spent a lot of time talking with Tim @ EE. I even had him build a quilt for my son, which he loves.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I like quilts for their weight savings and versatility. I made the switch this past summer in preparation for my JMT hike. I ended up making my own so I could customize size, weight, temperature rating, etc.

The project took about 15 hours. Here's the final product (pic is upside down in relation to how I sleep in it for those not familiar). Temp rating is around 30 degrees and weighs 20 oz. I love it :D

Ladd
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Nice! Looks like the foot-box has a drawcord?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

freestone wrote:Nice! Looks like the foot-box has a drawcord?
Yes, I could use as a straight blanket as in pic 2 when it is warmer or cinch up the end to form the footbox when temps drop. I have velcro on the edges of the lower 3 feet to bring it together.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Beautiful workmanship, your careful time spent shows. Great job, drivefly!
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Went from multiple bags to multiple quilts back to a bag. Tried out a few bags, found them to be constricting. Switched to a Katabatic Chisos quilt with 2oz overfill (made it about a 35*ish quilt). Weighed about 17oz, took it below freezing (down jacket + long underwear) and was fine. It was just too narrow and since I toss and turn, re-tucking gets old. Sold it and picked up a wide Enlightened Equipment 30* quilt with 30% overstuff (weighed closer to 20oz). Width was perfect, but the Karo baffles allowed the down shift too easily. Every time you pull it out of your pack, you would have to redistribute the down and the in the middle of the night, the down would shift to your sides so you would get cold spots. And the snaps for bottom of the bag would put pressure points on your legs. Finally ended up with a WM Versalite. Plenty of space and can't beat the weight for the temperatures. It's just a bit overkill sometimes and takes up a lot of pack space.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

TRAUMAhead wrote:Went from multiple bags to multiple quilts back to a bag.
Similar story here. I liked the weight savings and freedom of movement of a quilt, but hated the fuss factor when trying to snuggle in when the mercury dipped or the winds picked up. I ended up selling everything for a Feathered Friend's Osprey Nano 30.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Funny I never even noticed the snaps on the bottom of my quilt. I haven't sold any of my bags yet as I've only had the quilt for a year. So far my biggest area of concern has been with the pad. My poor bones need more than when I was 18, but that's another thread altogether.