Down is the new up!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Down is the new up!

Post by fishmonger »

Poor TNF will have to raise prices :-({|=

My TNF down sweater has maybe 6 ounces of down in it. At full retail they try to sell that thing at $300 last time I checked. The extra 3 bucks they have to pay for the fill is really going to hurt their bottom line, so I assume the price will have to move to $349. I got mine at $100 on SNC and still think it was quite expensive for what I got. It works, is well made, but compared to the dirt cheap down sweater at Costco, there is no way anyone can justify the retail pricing by the big brands.

If I need something like a sleeping bag, I shop ebay or Steep and Cheap for a few weeks and get what I need after a little wait. There's no way I will buy items like that in a retail store anywhere close to the recommended retail pricing unless I need it the next day and was stupid enough not to plan ahead.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Down is the new up!

Post by Bluewater »

"I'm kind of looking to the quilt builders/ others who purchase down to add insight here as they get their down from somewhere. Yes, I'm now as bugged about the other down bag builders"

I have been buying 900 fp down for my quilts and other projects from thru-hiker.com for a few years. He sells it in 3 oz increments. The price has increased from $25 in 2009 to $30 in 2011 and now it's $40. The latest increase has got me considering alternative sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk