Piute Pass

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Piute Pass

Post by Mradford »

Has anyone been over Piute pass along glacier divide or Humphrey's basin recently? Like last couple of days. Im looking to see how much snow there is, if any, as well as if lakes are still not frozen.

Thanks!

-Mike
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Piute Pass

Post by Rockchucker »

I haven't been lately but I can tell you there is no snow, and the lakes arn't frozen. Too warm still!
I'm no suture for my future.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Mike:

Did you hike to Piute Pass? I'm looking for conditions info for that area too. I'm pretty sure I'm headed into Humphreys Basin for an overnighter this coming weekend.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Thanks Rockchucker. Kathy, No, I am planning on heading up there tomorrow. I will let you all know what it looks like when I get back to a computer.

-Mike
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Headed up the pass today. Little bits of snow here and there. Loch leven had a layer of ice when we got there but most of it melted away. Original plan was to head over the pass to fish but when we saw loch leven was frosty we decided the higher lakes probably wouldn't be worth fishing.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Mike - I'm going to head up the Piute Pass Trail tomorrow - I hope to go over the Pass and in toward Desolation Lake/Four Gables for an overnight trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kathy,

Looking forward to hearing about the conditions of the lakes, more specifically
the thickness of the ice layer forming on lakes at different elevations. Thanks
for any information that you will be able to supply after getting back from your
trip Kathy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org