Sleeping bag ?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sleeping bag ?

Post by sparky »

I have no experience with BA products, but i love my new bag and need to gush about it

I researched quite a bit before my last bag purchace. I decided on a WM alder. I couldnt be happier. It is the most versitile "bag" out there me thinks...and while not the lightest it lives up to its 25° rating and weighs in @ 2lbs....not too shabby!
It can be a flat blanket, quilt like with a foot box, or a full bag, and WM offers a zip in bottom piece to make it a couples bag. It lacks a hood, but that doesnt bother me. While i am not a big guy, it would be one to consider if you need more room than a standard mummy or quilt offers. It is an awesome bag!
Last edited by sparky on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

longri wrote:
markskor wrote:Due to my cold-foot symptoms, I like/need a foot-box, hence a full-zip sleeping bag.
Many quilts have enclosed foot boxes sewn to about knee height.
Yes, seen and tried out one (quilt) as described, but one which had a snap thing/velcro as a toe-box construct.
Unfortunately, the one tried proved too drafty when cold at night (my toes again) and, those seen with a permanently sewn toe-box, too warm when hot. For me, a full length bag with a zipper allows me to construct whatever variation is warranted at the time.
Isn't a quilt with a toe-box zipper, still a sleeping bag?
Mountainman who swims with trout
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

markskor wrote:Isn't a quilt with a toe-box zipper, still a sleeping bag?
That's what I was going to suggest, Goldilocks.

A #3 zipper to knee height with a single zipper pull would by itself add about 1/4 ounce to a bag/quilt/thing. A #5 zipper would be double that. And a down filled draft tube running along side might add 1/8 ounce or so, or somewhat more if you insisted on a stiffener there. Some of the small cottage bag/quilt makers will do custom mods like this.