Boot Lacing Techniques

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Boot Lacing Techniques

Post by maverick »

How many of you have tried different lacing techniques? Many times it isn't a boot
issue but an improper lacing technique being used, especially on steep down hills.
Here are two sites that show different techniques that one can include in their
arsenal to get the optimum fit from your boots.
http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Boot Lacing Techniques

Post by rlown »

wow. I've seen no one i've been with relace their boots. and what is Bushwalking anyway? If you go uphill you loosen your laces after the tiedown at the ankle. downhill, you tighten them a bit. Is there more or is this new science? If your boots don't fit, you're screwed anyway.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Yeah, it is bit of a hassle to relace your boots at every change in grade.

If you know you will downhill all day then it may be worth it, otherwise I just lace them so they are comfortable and retie then as needed during the day. I change socks a lot, several times per day if needed. That seems to help me more than different lacing patterns.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I guess I am old school where I tie my shoes after putting them on and I only mess with them again if they become untied which doesn't happen often. Up hill or down I don't change anything.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by kd6swa »

I do mine just like in the military - Bar at the bottom, X at the top with extra lace wrapped around the top of the boot. It has worked for me for the past 35 years.
I like the boots to fit snug - just a personal preference.
KD6SWA
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I use pretty light flexible hiking boots, Lowa Zephyrs, the only special thing I do is not to cross the laces over my instep which is very high and sensitive. Tie once a day unless I take them off for a ford or a swim.

I tie my x-country ski boots similarly to the first method of the first video in order to get the boots cinched up really tight to keep my heel movement limited. This method was taught to me by an REI employee several years ago.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!