Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock

Post by Vaca Russ »

http://news.yahoo.com/charges-possible- ... 47899.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do any of you know John, the guy who issues wilderness permits at the Bishop Ranger Station?

He once told me the biggest violators of the backcountry rules are the Boy Scouts.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock

Post by Ikan Mas »

I read this in our paper this morning and was outraged. Unfortunately, there are still people out there that are stuck in the 1940s with regarding outdoor behavior. You would think with all the training required by BSA that these guys would have known better. They sought to eliminate risk rather than manage it. We did that a few generations with predators, but the times have changed. I hope the state throws the book at these guys.

While I do believe that scouts could use a lot of improvement in their backcountry behavior, the worst violaters are the packers, hands down. More so, because scouts do it only once a year, packers all summer. Permanent structures errected, horses too close to the water, and overly large unmanaged groups. With all due respect to our ranger friend, I rarely see scout damage, but I see packer damage every day in Ansel Adams. Washington state is much worse, as the horsemen think they own the wilderness there and abuse it horribly. My experience in the Pasayten this summer was a bit shocking. At any rate, but the scouts and the packers are old school groups with a sense of entitlement. All we can do is educate them.

If a ranger is reading, what sort of violations do you see from scouts and other large groups? I suspect overly large groups, building fires, and camping too close to lakes, something that the backpacking population at large is also guilty of. The scouters that do peruse this forum would probably appreciate finding out what they could do better. Let us know. I'm retired from scouts, but there are many here that can pass the word on.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Yeah, it was reprehensible. Very untypical of most scouting leadership. I suspect the national organization will get involved.

The "remove the hazard" excuse was pretty lame. That was the best rationalization they could come up with after several days?

My vote for the worst in outdoor manners remains the sierra club. I have yet to encounter a sc group that was not arrogant, aloof, or felt they were 'above the rules'. I am not impressed with the skills of their group leaders either. About half are borderline incompetent. Good ones are few and far between.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

seems simple. just walk away and keep your scouts away from it. there is no excuse.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

"It's all about saving lives here in goblin valley"

What a load of crap.
dsundrwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by dsundrwd »

There's also an article that says he's suing over a car accident and claiming permanent disability

http://news.yahoo.com/man-toppled-ancie ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

hmm, why do I now remember my encounter with a Boy Scout troop in 1987 at Woods Creek, when they roared in late at night and found it necessary to take everyone else's food out of the bear lockers and stuff theirs inside, then make a ruckus for the rest of the night? This was before bear canisters by the way, so we ended up with our food in hand at midnight and so much noise that we took down our tents and moved up the trail towards Dollar Lake in the middle of the night.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The national headquarters has now ousted them. This was after they retracted their flimsy "We did it to save lives" story. At least they admitted it was stupid.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Guilty. He's gonna pay....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex- ... ion-n56596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Although vandalism of locations that are meant to be preserved is never a good thing I can't say I care too much that he pushed that rock over. If they were able to knock the damn thing over then I don't think it was going to stand for too much longer anyway.