Age of Ebbetts Pass volcano

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Age of Ebbetts Pass volcano

Post by mokelumnekid »

A geology friend who has been working in the Ebbetts Pass area has identified Silver Peak and Raymond as part of what is called the Ebbetts Pass stratovolcano (think say, Mt. Rainier or Shasta). The age for that system has been determined to be about 4.5 million years old. Just thought folks here might find that of interest.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Re: Age of Ebbetts Pass volcano

Post by RichardCullip »

Interesting. Where did the rest of it go?
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

RichardCullip wrote:Interesting. Where did the rest of it go?
Good question.

George,

Wouldn't Reynolds also be part of this "stratovolcano"?

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I'm guessing that the rest of it is sitting down in the central valley as part of the sediments. Volcanoes erode away very quickly. As far as Renolyds goes, god question. There are many deposits around there from various volcanic episodes and from what little info I got only Raymond could be directly correlated with Silver Pk. But when I hear back from the person who is doing the work I'll ask.

Thanks for your interest guys!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

very cool, MK. Is there any papers posted on the topic yet that are accessible via google scholar? for free?
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

For your reading pleasure.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010PhDT.........6H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://gsabulletin.gsapubs.org/content/ ... /274.short" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

WOW I'm a geography major; and a 300 level (now I understand they are 3000 level) course I took (with a long w/e field trip) was the Geography of the Owens Valley. Some terminology is slightly Greek to me but interpretable. Nice.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Thanks k9mark- these are helpful references we have posted about previously. I have more but I can't post them publicly, tho those things may be obtained at the library. I think the age dates are new and probably not in the Hagen dissertation.

The business for publishing science paid for by YOUR tax money is that we write the papers, prepare the figures, send it to an unpaid (academic) editor, who sends it to unpaid reviewers (our colleagues) for review. If accepted, we make revisions, and submit type-set ready manuscript. Often we have to pay "page charges."Then the publishing house charges libraries an obscene amount to have access to the research papers that we produced at taxpayer expense. These are copyrighted materials so I can't even post a paper that I wrote myself (though many do)!

Even the non-profit professional societies like Geological Society of America or American Geophysical Union abide by this model somewhat as a means of revenue generation, although they are not nearly as draconian as the private publishing houses which dominate the science, engineering and medicine fields. :soapbox: