Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Post by rlown »

and everyone gets backpay. woohoo! sigh.. sorry, but that is still broken and doesn't happen in the real world (private sector.)
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

Well, if you're laid off in the real world (ie, business is down so they tell you to go home without pay, but you're not being fired and the company is still in business. They'll call you back to work when things pick up again), you can collect unemployment. Sounds like a similar situation to me.

Glad to hear the shutdown is over and things are opening up again! :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

NP, NF sites, and webcams are back up, and folks will be going back to work! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

franklin411 wrote:Well, if you're laid off in the real world (ie, business is down so they tell you to go home without pay, but you're not being fired and the company is still in business. They'll call you back to work when things pick up again), you can collect unemployment. Sounds like a similar situation to me.

Glad to hear the shutdown is over and things are opening up again! :thumbsup:
Generally speaking, unemployment is far less than your normal salary. At least that's the way it is in my state.
gglass
Topix Newbie

Post by gglass »

sorry - I got so busy at work when we got back, I forgot to post a reply.
On Saturday, Oct. 12, we drove the 27 miles up Sky Ranch Road FS10 to the Quartz Mountain Trailhead. All we saw were deer hunters and a few loggers. Trail head was open and unmarked with any 'closure' signs.

Hiked down to the Yosemite border gate - no signs - hiked in as normal. Went up to Middle Chain Lake, did some fishing and had lunch, came back. Never saw anyone until the end of the day when a fit backpacker caught us about a mile from the return trailhead. He had been in Yosemite for a week - saw a few people - nobody cared about the closure. business as usual in the back country.

down the hill, margaritas at El Cid - a good day in a closed park.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Gglass,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the update.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigSea
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigSea »

gglass wrote:sorry - I got so busy at work when we got back, I forgot to post a reply.
On Saturday, Oct. 12, we drove the 27 miles up Sky Ranch Road FS10 to the Quartz Mountain Trailhead. All we saw were deer hunters and a few loggers. Trail head was open and unmarked with any 'closure' signs.

Hiked down to the Yosemite border gate - no signs - hiked in as normal. Went up to Middle Chain Lake, did some fishing and had lunch, came back. Never saw anyone until the end of the day when a fit backpacker caught us about a mile from the return trailhead. He had been in Yosemite for a week - saw a few people - nobody cared about the closure. business as usual in the back country.

down the hill, margaritas at El Cid - a good day in a closed park.
I take it the other Subaru in the parking lot was yours?

I was there that same day, saw the same backpacker that was out there for a week and even had margaritas at El Cid on the way out.