TR: Circumnavigaion of the Kaweahs with Red Spur Basin Trave

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
toejam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Circumnavigaion of the Kaweahs with Red Spur Basin Trave

Post by toejam »

I really enjoyed this report and the follow-ups. Thanks for sharing!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi snowpatch,
Thanks for the terrific report! It had to take a lot of planning to get everything organized from BC and then make the trip happen. For me, it's challenging enough just getting up to the Sierra from LA. But, I have been looking at getting back to Kaweah basin for several years, and your report probably convinced me to try to include the Red Spur area. Based on the dearth of reports in HST, it does have to be among the least visited regions in the Sierra. However, if the dry weather eliminated the myriad ponds that littered Kaweah basin when I was there in 2009, you may want to aim for a return trip someday; although, you did get that spectacular head on view of the "backside" of the Kaweahs, the cascade of mini-ponds is another memorable feature. I was also impressed by the fact that the Red Spur terrain looked very similar to most of Picket Guard (PG) basin. When I went through PG basin, it was the same sort of rock jumble with hardly a spot big enough to accommodate a tent. I'm also impressed that you guys handled the weather so well, but I guess that you have a bit more experience than LA wimps.
Cheers,
cg
landESCAPE
Topix Novice

Post by landESCAPE »

Hey, I see my name! I'm Ranger Lewis. Glad you had a great trip. I'll be in the area again this season. Let me know if you have any questions, etc! :D

I know exactly which deer you were talking about at Spring Lake. I have to spend half an hour chasing it away almost every time I camp there. I've been collecting reports, so feel free to PM me one or email me (my email address is on my website below).
- Jeff

landscape artist | http://www.landESCAPEvisuals.com
co-founder and CEO, #escaype, weather service for photographers, | http://www.escaype.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

PM sent Jeff.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org