What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by caddis »

deleted because I didn't read the previous post before this reply
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

This article (http://us.cnn.com/2013/10/11/politics/s ... =us&page=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) about the reopening of national parks in Utah and a few other places indicates that "California and Wyoming also have sought alternative financing solutions for their parks"

Does anyone have any more insight?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tim,

Has been already posted here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I noticed today the Snowmobile Park at Morgan Summit (Hwy 36) is closed, barricaded and the restroom locked. Which I found interesting. It is operated by the Forest Service, but funding is 100% state Green Sticker money. Zero federal funding. All maintenance and operations is state funded with the money allocated and available.

So why closed?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
takotruckin
Topix Acquainted

Post by takotruckin »

dave54 wrote:I noticed today the Snowmobile Park at Morgan Summit (Hwy 36) is closed, barricaded and the restroom locked. Which I found interesting. It is operated by the Forest Service, but funding is 100% state Green Sticker money. Zero federal funding. All maintenance and operations is state funded with the money allocated and available.

So why closed?
Closed because we Americans are being used as pawns in a giant stupid chess game.

We have been fortunate around here and as far as I know all of our trailheads are still open, as are the 4x4 trails.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Closed because we Americans are being used as pawns in a giant stupid chess game.

We have been fortunate around here and as far as I know all of our trailheads are still open, as are the 4x4 trails.
I disagree we are pawns in a chess game.

Chess requires at least a modicum of intelligence and rational thought.
Politicians are more like spoiled children that throw a tantrum if they lose at Candyland. :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ironmike
Topix Regular

What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by ironmike »

The game is far from chess. More like chicken.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

dave54 wrote:I noticed today the Snowmobile Park at Morgan Summit (Hwy 36) is closed, barricaded and the restroom locked. Which I found interesting. It is operated by the Forest Service, but funding is 100% state Green Sticker money. Zero federal funding. All maintenance and operations is state funded with the money allocated and available.

So why closed?
Someone answered this earlier:

I'm guessing that all government contractors, including those that run campgrounds on public property, are subject to legal and financial oversight of some sort. We don't just hand over the keys to private contractors and walk away. There's a long history of fraud when that happens, which is why we have government workers removed from the profit motive. It might seem minor for campgrounds compared to a defense contractor or highway construction company, but it takes people at many levels of government to make the private-public system work correctly. We don't see those people working in the background to make things happen, but they're there. Except now, they aren't there."

We need multiple layers of government experts looking over our shoulder so that we don't commit fraud cleaning toilets, walking down trails, looking at old geysers, walking through public malls, and pulling off the side of the road to view faces carved in rocks

:paranoid:
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Congress has a 5 percent approval rating. I'm pretty sure we all agree here, so what is the argument again?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;