Photographers, help me out with this one!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Photographers, help me out with this one!

Post by SSSdave »

If its unbalanced, it is slight so won't matter because there are few vertical elements to evaluate. At center on far side of the lake is a small dark narrow pine and at left side a few dimmer similar trees above yellow cottonwood. I did a small screen capture of those two sections then copied and pasted results into a temp Photoshop image, magnified it 500%, and did not see anything odd. Sometimes lake landscapes with a distant shoreline that varies in distance across a frame background can have the effect you are relating but yours doesn't bother my vision at all. What is distracting is when water surfaces are tilted, not shorelines.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Photographers, help me out with this one!

Post by fishmonger »

edit the way you like it. It's not like we walk on the face of the earth with our heads constantly leveled by several gyroscopes. Rarely do we see landscapes that aren't level, but there really is no reason why you can't just frame it the way your gut tells you it is right.

The fact that you feel that something is wrong with it probably means you may want to change it. Go with it :)

tools to level - I only use Photoshop and you can twist bend and distort in there to make things fit any way you want. The adaptive wide angle filter especially let's you straighten anything you like, even individual elements in an image, so you can have certain lines level, while the rest of the image mostly stays unaffected, i.e. you don't rotate the entire image when making slight corrections to a particular line in the image. Purists will say OMG you can't bend reality like that, but then the lens is already doing a lot of bending and distorting. The filter just lets you take control over that process.