Best Kings/Kern Divide Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best Kings/Kern Divide Pass?

Post by Bluewater »

Many thanks to the experienced backpackers/hikers/climbers here on HST for sharing their vast knowledge of the Sierra(s).

I am planning on heading over the Kings/Kern Divide this week as part of one last trip of the season and after searching here it seems the consensus is that Ericsson Pass may be the easiest way to cross. Harrison and the Foot Passes all seem to have some more difficult sections, especially the steep loose north side of Harrison and the steep narrow chute at the top of Millys Foot. I've read the post about Little Joes Pass, but I'm a little unsure of the exact location.

I heard from some friends that they went over Ericsson Pass a few weeks ago with no problem, but I haven't been able to find any photos. After taking a fall this summer I'm trying to play it safe(r) so any more info, photos or opinions would be very much appreciated! :paranoid:

A quick overview: Level 4, Lakes-Big Mntn Scenery-Climbing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Best Kings/Kern Divide Pass?

Post by maverick »

Would recommend extreme caution on either of those passes with this weather
system that dropped several inches of snow last week. If snow/ice mix persists
on either pass, Ericsson or Harrison, be prepared to bail.
Day time temps are in the mid 40's and mid 20's at night at that elevation so not
a lot of thawing will occur, it will ice up overnight, staying that way most of
the morning, and longer in the shaded sections (both are northern facing which
will not receive a lot of sun).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Maverick. I hadn't considered the effect of the storms last week. It might make more sense to stay on trail for this one.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Forester.
afahrland
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by afahrland »

I ran into a guy this last weekend who said the Wednesday storm had dumped 2 feet of snow on Red Peak Pass. Not quite as far south as you are planning to go, but I'd plan for snow and ice.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Have to agree w/Maverick on snow/ice danger. I've gone up Ericcson and remember the top being a steep ledge system with lots of dirt/dust. With an inch of snow it'll be a little freaky.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the weather warnings. I received some photos yesterday of snow at about 7,500 feet on the Taboose Pass trail and the locals in Bishop said hikers are turning back due to snow at 10,000 feet on the way to Bishop Pass. I am considering going farther north where the conditions may be better.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

Colby.

You'll live to tell about it....