bacon jerky

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bluefish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

bacon jerky

Post by bluefish »

Living near the Appalachain Trail, we talk to lots of thru-hikers on our summer short trips. This year several raved about Oberto Bacon Jerky. They basically said they could live on the stuff and were stockpiling it in their food caches to make sure they had a supply. We found some in a local store and several pouches went into the Sierra bear can. We used it to complement Packit Gourmet scrambled eggs and Idahoan Potatoes w/ a pack of olive oil added. It made the meals excellent tasting and very satisfying. Very bacon-like, though it is jerky. Taste is same, just a little less crispy. I normally shy from junk food, but this is a good product . If you love bacon, this is well worth trying out. They ended up being my wife's favorite meals.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Re: bacon jerky

Post by RichardCullip »

Ah, bacon.... It's the candy of meats.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I was telling everyone about it while I was out also. I found out about it close to when I left so I only had a couple in one resupply.

All the resorts I told them to carry bacon jerky.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I ordered some via amazon. It's really good stuff. High calorie and protein per ounce. I'm going to add it to my menu when hiking.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I bought some for my Kern trip at my local Costco. Richard is right about it being the candy of meats. One thing of note though. On the package it says that once opened to eat or refrigerate within 3 days to prevent spoilage. Anything with that high of a fat content should be watched carefully.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well the World Kitchens jerky I had said the same thing about eat or refrigerate after 3 days but I had it open for as much as 10 days without issue.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I don't worry about it too much either, just thought it was worth keeping in mind.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray