Peak Registers

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Peak Registers

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:It takes several orthogonal committees to decide, and years of banter. :) Most of the signs are wrong anyway.
It was more pointed at the geocachers which seems to be the latest fad. Don't leave stuff in a wilderness area.. It's really not ok. One of our crew found a geocache in the dinkeys.. guess there are seven left to find. It was a really nice Army ammo box.. even had a gun lock in it. idiots.
I can remember stumbling on a geocache but once in my many years of hiking, but it was in (for me) a comical place. It was in this off trail, poison oak, tick infested gully that is also crawling with rattlensnakes, situated in an SF Bay area regional park. The box was surrounded by poison oak.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

You can find comprehensive information on Sierra peak registers at http://summitregister.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I try to keep track of all the missing and non-missing registers on most SPS and other major peaks, and to provide registers for peaks that need them.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

North Peak register is missing. It was there last fall, but missing in in June of this year.
Mt Warren register is also missing.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

The issue of summit registers comes up periodically on various climbing threads.

Is it trash? No, clearly not. Trash is something that is discarded, thrown away, that would otherwise be intentionally placed in a garbage can.

It should be noted that humans have placed "things" on the top of mountains they have climbed for at least centuries, probably millennium.

The wilderness nazis would say that anything related to human should not be in wilderness. However, that takes the position that human stands outside of nature, which I believe is not only wrong, but very dangerous. We are part of nature, and we have a history of being part of nature.

If I prepare a meal in wilderness, and leave a pile of fish bones (which I don't recommend), that is trash. However, an Indian who did EXACTLY the same thing 100 years ago created an archaeological site. Should all of those be removed? All Indian burial sites?

A summit register is creating a historical document, and is very valuable in that regard.
It has been critical in numerous SAR operations.

And, if it is more than 50 years old, removal is a felony under the antiquities act, except for official preservation.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Ken M wrote:The issue of summit registers comes up periodically on various climbing threads.

Is it trash? No, clearly not. Trash is something that is discarded, thrown away, that would otherwise be intentionally placed in a garbage can.

It should be noted that humans have placed "things" on the top of mountains they have climbed for at least centuries, probably millennium.

The wilderness nazis would say that anything related to human should not be in wilderness. However, that takes the position that human stands outside of nature, which I believe is not only wrong, but very dangerous. We are part of nature, and we have a history of being part of nature.

If I prepare a meal in wilderness, and leave a pile of fish bones (which I don't recommend), that is trash. However, an Indian who did EXACTLY the same thing 100 years ago created an archaeological site. Should all of those be removed? All Indian burial sites?

A summit register is creating a historical document, and is very valuable in that regard.
It has been critical in numerous SAR operations.

And, if it is more than 50 years old, removal is a felony under the antiquities act, except for official preservation.
Very well put, Ken. :thumbsup:
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Just a note: On Mt Morgan out of Rock Creek last weekend the register was brand new in a new Nalgene bottle, replaced by the SPS. No sign of the old one. Admittedly that is a popular peak and I am sure registers fill quickly but sometimes it is nice to look back through the old entries and there was planty of room in the bottle so I am not sure why it was removed unless it had already gone missing and they were replacing it for that reason
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

BrianF wrote:Just a note: On Mt Morgan out of Rock Creek last weekend the register was brand new in a new Nalgene bottle, replaced by the SPS. No sign of the old one. Admittedly that is a popular peak and I am sure registers fill quickly but sometimes it is nice to look back through the old entries and there was planty of room in the bottle so I am not sure why it was removed unless it had already gone missing and they were replacing it for that reason
BrianF
If referring to Morgan (S), then the new register is a welcome addition. I climbed it on 3 August and scoured the entire summit, looking into every nook and cranny. There was no sign of a register anywhere. Sierra Challenge participants noted the same thing a few weeks later. It seems like this major peak was record-less for quite a while. Good to hear it's been taken care of now.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So let me recall here:

Mt. Shinn (glass jar with a few pieces of paper)
Mt. Fleming (no register)
Mt Hutton (no register)
Blue Canyon Peak (has a proper book but is located in a beat up band aid can. Needs something better.
Mt. Solomon (has a book but is inside a strange can. Works but needs something all together better.
Mt. Shakespere (glass jar, needs a better container. The jar leaks without a zip lock that is put inside the lid.
Red Point (small glass bottle which papers are very hard to get out of it)
Mt. Sill (has book but inside a water bottle)
Kaweah Queen (glass jar with a single piece of paper in it)
Mt. Kaweah (has a book but is inside a large crappy coffee can that leaks if left upward)

I think that is it unless I missed something.

I hate how we cannot always talk about stuff because of theft so once this is up for a day or two and has been read your free to delete.

Mt. Shakespere is a bit of a sad case. The register contains all the original ascent papers but because the glass jar it's in leaks they are all unreadable. the only one I could even slightly see was a piece of a paper that said - st ascent P. Farquhar. As I looked at it the paper broke in half across Farquhar's name. There was a note in there from a few years ago saying the bottle was full of water. So it badly needs to be replaced. The only really legible entry was 7th ascent by R. J. Secor.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I placed a register on Hutton a couple weeks ago. Sorry to hear about Shakspeare, I meant to climb that this year - but put it off till next.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Another addition to the sad list of missing registers: Trail Peak.
Was up there 19 October and found only the empty ammo box. No trace of pads, no writing utensils, paper scraps, plastic bags or anything else.
I tell myself to carry at least one empty notebook for situations like this, but always forget. Doh.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org