Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

julianb wrote:Got back last night from an overnighter from Gianelli to Granite Lake. I camped at Pinecrest Lake on Thu night before I headed out the following morning - not sure if that is still open or not. Had no issues at Gianelli trailhead, in fact there were way more cars parked there than I expected and I ran into 5-10 groups on the trail both days. Actually, I didn't even see a single sign of anything being closed - besides, of course, the fact that I didn't stop by the ranger station to pick up a permit.
I'm not surprised by your report. Emigrant Wilderness is one of the least regulated wilderness areas anywhere - no trail quotas, no bear canisters, and they allow campfires when others don't.
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

Minarets Road was open all the way to a few miles before Granite Creek. Don't know about the campground itself because I didn't go that far.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Has anyone been in or out of Desolation at Echo Lakes in the last few days? I was thinking of taking a friend on a day hike to Lake Aloha and back. He hasn't been there before. Usually the self registration is open for day hikers near the marina. Normally, just after Labor Day the gate is opened on the dam at the lower lake, turning the strait between the lakes back into a stream bed with an elevation differential, which means the water taxi isn't running and we'd have to do the 2 extra miles each way. Just curious if anyone has encountered any rangers or knows if they even shut down the no-fee self issued day hiking permit box. If on the off chance the water levels are still equal and the taxi running, that surely would be nice to know as well.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Gary C, did you go down to the forks? Thinking of heading there next weekend, and was wondering about the road in.
gglass
Topix Newbie

Post by gglass »

Has anyone been up Beasore Road or Sky Ranch Road FS10 in the Sierra National Forest to hike into Yosemite / Chain Lakes, or to access the Jackass lakes Trailhead? I'll be in Bass Lake this weekend and would like to do one of those two hikes. Any info appreciated.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

overheadx2 wrote:Gary C, did you go down to the forks? Thinking of heading there next weekend, and was wondering about the road in.
Yes, the road and parking lot were open with no sign of closing when we were there. Stop at the FS office and you should be able to get your permit like we did.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

gary c. wrote:
overheadx2 wrote:Gary C, did you go down to the forks? Thinking of heading there next weekend, and was wondering about the road in.
Yes, the road and parking lot were open with no sign of closing when we were there. Stop at the FS office and you should be able to get your permit like we did.
That is excellent news!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

A reminder to everyone headed out this time of year but especially the FOTK area. Deer season is open. This past weekend there were several deer camps set up near the TH and I heard there was a group on horses hunting up near painter camp. When we got back up to the TH there were 2 guys just comming up at the same time that were hunting also.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
afahrland
Topix Acquainted

Post by afahrland »

gglass wrote:Has anyone been up Beasore Road or Sky Ranch Road FS10 in the Sierra National Forest to hike into Yosemite / Chain Lakes, or to access the Jackass lakes Trailhead? I'll be in Bass Lake this weekend and would like to do one of those two hikes. Any info appreciated.
Also would appreciate any info on the area. I'm heading to Quartz Mountain tomorrow, I hope there aren't any locked gates.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Tom_H wrote:Has anyone been in or out of Desolation at Echo Lakes in the last few days? I was thinking of taking a friend on a day hike to Lake Aloha and back. He hasn't been there before. Usually the self registration is open for day hikers near the marina. Normally, just after Labor Day the gate is opened on the dam at the lower lake, turning the strait between the lakes back into a stream bed with an elevation differential, which means the water taxi isn't running and we'd have to do the 2 extra miles each way. Just curious if anyone has encountered any rangers or knows if they even shut down the no-fee self issued day hiking permit box. If on the off chance the water levels are still equal and the taxi running, that surely would be nice to know as well.
I have not done this in the last few days, but did take the water taxi and hiked to Lake Aloha in the last week of July. At that time the taxi pilot said that the water levels were already so low that they probably could not continue more than a couple more weeks.

When we got to the self registry at the end of the lake all the permits were gone, so we just went on without one.
IMGP3032-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.