Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Post by lensman137 »

Has anyone out there had any problems accessing trailheads? Specifically Crabtree and Gianelli Cabin in Stanislaus NF? Called Aspen Meadows Pack station, but got no answer. Pinecrest Resort didn't know if the road was gated or not.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Access to National Forest trailheads during shutdown

Post by rlown »

Hunting season is in full swing now across CA. They wouldn't be gating/locking anything other than campgrounds (require "maintenance") and those areas out of bounds. If they do, the hunting access to public lands are not so much NF as CDFW. Lots paid a LOT of money to hunt this state.

Besides.. All hunters carry a 2 stroke gate cutter. :D
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I'm sure gate cutters can be really useful, but what's of concern to some of us is whether we find a hefty ticket waiting on our windshield. For those of us who have a long commute to our favored stomping grounds challenging a ticket by showing up at 8 am at the not at all local courthouse isn't an attractive option.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

If there is a gate, don't count on it being open.
takotruckin
Topix Acquainted

Post by takotruckin »

KathyW wrote:If there is a gate, don't count on it being open.
Not entirely accurate. In the shaver/courtright area all the gates are still open even on the 4x4 trails. I didn't go by any hosted campgrounds, so I can't say if they were open.
julianb
Topix Newbie

Post by julianb »

Got back last night from an overnighter from Gianelli to Granite Lake. I camped at Pinecrest Lake on Thu night before I headed out the following morning - not sure if that is still open or not. Had no issues at Gianelli trailhead, in fact there were way more cars parked there than I expected and I ran into 5-10 groups on the trail both days. Actually, I didn't even see a single sign of anything being closed - besides, of course, the fact that I didn't stop by the ranger station to pick up a permit.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Thanks for the info. Since Gianelli isn't a campground, just a parking lot and trailhead it's likely that it will be accessible a week from now (I friggin hope!) Crabtree campground is definitely closed, and the gate probably locked.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I tried a couple times last week to call Sequoia NF about a permit for GTW and got the no funds message and even fax'd an ap with no reply. Decided to go anyways and stopped by the NFS office in Kernville and found the permit book in the drop box and filled it out.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

gary c. wrote:I tried a couple times last week to call Sequoia NF about a permit for GTW and got the no funds message and even fax'd an ap with no reply. Decided to go anyways and stopped by the NFS office in Kernville and found the permit book in the drop box and filled it out.
How was your hike?
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Richard, it was a great weekend. The bite is picking up with the cooler water temps. My best fish was 16" with a lot of smaller ones. The night time temps got down to 38. I surprised myself coming out and made it from the river to TH in an hour and 15min.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray