English Mountain – Ogul Peak #54

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

English Mountain – Ogul Peak #54

Post by Vaca Russ »

Guess what “Sport” discovered? The Ogul Peak list. This list was developed to encourage peak-climbing in the Lake Tahoe Region.

OGUL is the Washoe Indian word for mountain bighorn sheep. The Natives hunted this agile mountaineer in both the Sierra Tahoe Region and the Basin and Range to the east. Though now extinct in the area, this once great mountain sheep is a fitting symbol for the Tahoe OGUL List.

Sport noticed that we had already climbed 6 of the 63 listed peaks (Price, Pyramid, Ralston, Tallac, Freel and Jobs Sister). She set the goal of climbing all of them. This is surely going to cut into my “sitting on the couch and drinking beer time”. :D

English Mountain is #54 on the list. It is located in the north Donner Pass area north of I-80. We climbed to the summit on Saturday. The weather was beautiful. We reached the summit by climbing the mountain’s southeast ridge.

The start was an off trail hike over broken rock and through manzanita.
1 Start.JPG
Soon we had our objective in view.
2 Objective.JPG
We crossed some steep, loose scree slopes.
3 Steep Scree.JPG
And climbed many steep, loose scree slopes.
4 Steep and Rocky.JPG
There was also quite a bit of class 2 climbing with some exposure.
5 Class 2 Climbing.JPG
Eventually we saw the solar panel at the summit.
6 Summit.JPG
This solar panel and battery are used by the Placer County Search and Rescue. The battery is located in a steel box. We found the “register” inside this box (note the tin cans).
7 Placer County S&R.JPG
There were not many entries on the 8 ½” by 11” piece of notebook paper that is being used as the register. (Note to self…when climbing some of these more obscure peaks bring along a notebook and pen.)
8 Register.JPG
There is a benchmark.
9 Benchmark.JPG
The views were beautiful. This is Castle (#37) and Basin (#40), two more Ogul peaks, to the east.
10 Castle and Basin.JPG
Thank you for reading our post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: English Mountain – Ogul Peak #54

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. English Mtn. is a nice viewpoint and a pleasant little scramble. Because it stands all by itself, the view from the top is really nice. Did you happen to investigate the small body of water on its north side?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: English Mountain – Ogul Peak #54

Post by Vaca Russ »

giantbrookie wrote:Nice report. English Mtn. is a nice viewpoint and a pleasant little scramble. Because it stands all by itself, the view from the top is really nice. Did you happen to investigate the small body of water on its north side?
GB,

Yes, English Mountain has a prominence of 1253 feet. The views are well worth the climb. We didn't climb down to Echo Lake. I thought about carrying a fishing pole up there to try fishing but I changed my mind. I wanted to spend my time fishing elsewhere. :)

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.