Is Mineral King Road Open?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Is Mineral King Road Open?

Post by mountaineer »

Because of the private property and residences in Mineral King, I am assuming the gate is not locked as at other park entrances?

Does anybody know?
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Re: Is Mineral King Road Open?

Post by RooPhillip »

The gate was locked yesterday, despite the fact that Silver City Resort was still open at the time.

According to the Manager of the Silver City Resort, the
National Park Service closed and locked the gates along the
Mineral King Road this morning, October 5--earlier than the
previously scheduled date of October 28.

The property owners on the MK Road still have access because they can open the gates.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Morons!

No need to lock the gate. There are no NPS services up there to speak of and I really don't need a ranger babysitting me anyway.

I could get political with my comments but will refrain. :)

Thanks for the info.

I was asking because the MK webcams were showing brilliant fall colors today and I was going to take a run up there.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

Agreed.

Typically, the MKRS closes the last weekend in September and the campground hosts go home. The gates stay open until the end of October. For the entire month, you can camp at Cold Springs and Atwell Mill free, and permits are self-issue. What justification are they using for closing the gates now, especially when there's a private business still running up there? No one is at the ranger station anyway!

I pray they swept all the parking lots at the trialheads, and ascertained no one who was coming out from the back country was locked in. If they were smart they left the gate combo on any remaining cars. How do they know no one was planning on coming up the road to pick up a one-way hiker, who was expecting a ride? If anyone is in that situation, the driver obviously needs to be given the combination to the gates. But with no one answering the phone or answering questions...I hope this doesn't lead to a very bad situation for somebody.

And the fact that those beautiful aspens are "closed", well, that's horse-hockey. :mad:
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Horse hockey isn't exactly the word I would use. :)

Anyway, there is only one reason to shut it down and the reason is political and we know who is giving the shutdown orders.

Awwww crap! I just got political. Sorry. ](*,)
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

As I understand the road is closed because there is private property there. To protect it.

I'm not saying it is right but I thought that is why.

I was disappointed 2 years ago to learn it was closed when we had so little snow. I wanted to hike to Franklin Lakes and see it frozen over.