losing weight

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

losing weight

Post by The hermit »

I need help to shed some pounds from my pack. I dont have a whole lot of money. Thinking of replacing my pack, tent and stove. Leaning towards a ULA pack. An alcohol stove(brasslite). Open to suggestions for a shelter. Any feedback is much appreciated.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Re: losing weight

Post by DAVELA »

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enginerd
Topix Novice

Post by Enginerd »

Packs are a very individual item but at 2.5 pounds, 60 liters, and rated for 50+ pounds I sure love my Exped Lightning 60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKX3m8B ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For shelters check out tarptent.com for starters, many other options and cottage manufacturers out there.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

I love my ULA Circuit. Really love it. Super comfy and big enough to hold my BV 450 comfortably. GIve one a try, I think you'd be impressed.

Alcohol stoves are good, but when there's a fire ban they're also banned. So not always convenient. And the weight savings with alcohol stoves only come in short 2-4 day trips. After that the amount of fuel you carry outweighs a lighter canister stove (which would be not be banned in a bad fire season).

As for tents, if you use trekking poles lots of options. Check out tarptent.com, some great shelters there. Though with tarptent you have to seam seal it yourself. If you don't carry poles, I like Big Sky tents. Just bought myself a Mirage 1P this summer and couldn't be happier. A little over 2 lbs, loads of head room, easy set-up, and great craftmanship that gives me great confidence in it (and no seam sealing!). Well worth checking out IMHO.

Good luck. Its fun to lighten up, and yeah, check out backpackinglight.com, a great resource. Though be prepared to be overwhelmed with a bunch of info (and ideological arguments!).
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

losing weight

Post by Bluewater »

I made a list of lightweight backpacking essentials that might help provide some ideas on how to lighten your pack weight:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... tials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun!
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Thanks for the responses so far! I've enjoyed each of your posts in the past. I have 8 gear makers bookmarked so far and sorting all the info is tough. I think I've seen your gear list before Bluewater and it seems to be updated so thanks for that! I'll keep an eye on your blog. I need to start sewing. If you want something done right do it yourself!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Post moved to Outdoor Gear Topix.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

to paraphrase professional bicycle racer Eddie Merckx, "If you want to shed weight don't spend your money on the latest high tech upgrade. Just lay off the Krispy Kremes."

OK, he has an rude way of putting it, but several studies have suggested losing excess body weight has a greater effect on performance than reducing gear weight.

Easier said than done... :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

My pack is ridiculous i would guess 60 plus at all times. When my friends met me below bishop pass afterward a N S lake loop i still had the heaviest pack in the group. They packed in fresh food and booze.(I was about out of food). The title of the thread is appropriate. I could be in better shape it makes it so much easier.!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

My pack has gotten lighter over the years, but I seem to have hit a plateau of sorts at 28 pounds for 6 days, my average trip. Gear combinations vary over the years. This year I had a lighter sleeping bag (Valandre) but a heavier tent (BA Fly Creek 2 Platinum) so the net was 0 weight savings. What always sinks my boat is the stuff I throw into the pack at the last minute. Last trip it was a 16oz jar of peanut butter that went uneaten, and a half dozen Snickers candy bars that melted to gob that looked like Owl hurl on the first day.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien