2013 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Enginerd
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 2013 Mosquito Reports

Post by Enginerd »

Any updates for Rae Lakes, Sixty Lakes and Gardiner Basins? Heading there next week.
Thanks in advance!
chandler325i
Topix Novice

Franklin L-Big Arroyo-Nine L-Little 5 L-Pinto L 7/24-7-30

Post by chandler325i »

Not a lot of mosquitoes in our recent Mineral King trek. I took a 3ml dropper bottle of DEET and never used a drop. I was wearing nylon hiking pants, and donned a wind shirt in the couple of spots that they were present. Used a head net a couple of evenings since I had it

7/24 - Franklin Lakes - 0
7/25 - Forester Lake - 1, 2 at dusk. Wore wind shirt and headnet
7/26 - Big Arroyo (between Lost Canyon trail jct and drainage from Big Five Lakes) - 0, 1 in some low-lying spots. Wind shirt w/ hood
7/27 - Big Arroyo (between Big Five drainage and HST trail jct) - 1, 2 in wet areas. Wore wind shirt w/ hood
7/27 - Nine Lakes - 0
7/28 - Little Five Lakes - 0, 1 at dusk
7/29 - Pinto Lake - 2 at dusk. Wind shirt + headnet
7/30 - Timber Gap trail (between Cliff Creek and Timber Gap) - 2 at dusk. Wind shirt + headnet
Last edited by maverick on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject
Enginerd
Topix Novice

Gardiner Basin-60 Lakes-Rae Lakes 8/20-8/26

Post by Enginerd »

Gardiner basin, sixty lakes basin, and Rae lakes 8/20-8/26 not a single bite, 0 the whole way :-)
Last edited by maverick on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed subject
sandersans
Topix Novice

Post by sandersans »

Steelhead Lake - McGee Creek Trail
8/31-9/2

0 all the way up to the lake and 0 at the lake. Thought I heard one skeeter around camp on the edge of the lake but never saw it until the last night when cooking dinner. Bugger landed on my hand but I got it before it bit me. So I guess that makes it a 1? That was the only skeeter I saw and I was quite surprised I even saw one.
L4-L5
Topix Newbie

Post by L4-L5 »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10 ... -or-grapes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new research study regarding deet
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks L4-L5 for posting this interesting article. Looking forward to see what product
they come out with, and when.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org