What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
phenocryst
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by phenocryst »

Per KIBS news this morning, roads to trailheads on Rock, Bishop and Lone Pine creeks are open (as is Reds Mdw, per me yesterday). Presumably the others are, too (?) "Previously reserved wilderness permits will be honored but no new ones will be issued" for the duration.

I know what I would do.

Tioga road is open to thru traffic... so come on over!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

vitaminC wrote:
Tom_H wrote:
vitaminC wrote:I was also planning on Desolation this weekend. Will probably make alternate plans and hope that the govt can get its act together soon.
Since all the trailheads originate at points of open access (no gate many miles away from trailhead), I wouldn't hesitate just to enter Desolation without a permit, same for Hoover, etc. If the backcountry rangers aren't there, what are they going to do? Even if they are there, if you say you tried to get a permit and no one was available, what are they going to do? I'd still be respectful to them and follow all the rules (fires, bathroom use, etc.) as usual. If they told me to leave, I'd politely say that with the government shut down, I am exercising a peaceful protest against it via this non-violent act of civil disobedience. The WWII memorial at the national mall was locked off at midnight. Today there were numerous WWII vets in there respectfully visiting it. I didn't see any LEOs arresting them.
Sure, they're not going to arrest you and march you out in cuffs, but that doesn't mean you won't be hit with a hefty fine or charged with something later. Why risk it?
How are they going to know my name and address?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/socal ... riday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Occupy Yosemite on Friday.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Wondering if anyone would know if Saddlebag Lake Campground off of Tioga Road..but still outside YNP is open? I called the Forest Service Office in Bishop...just maybe thinking they would have a recording...but all it said was they were closed due to the idiotic shutdown...
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

does anybody know if there is dispersed camping along the 4x4 road that parallels the road to rock creek? we were supposed to leave this morning and now the rock creek canyon face book page says all the camps are shutting down. looking for some last minute place to go. I've never gone dispersed car camping so im not sure where to look.

how about the deadman camp in mammoth, would that be shut down? I know its free and first come first served, but would they close the gate?

thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dispersed camping is not legal in a designated "recreation area". I think most of Rock Creek has that designation. Going in the wilderness without a permit, if parked at an open trailhead, has little chance of getting "busted". However, dispersed camping along a road may be different. I do not know if local law enforcement would or could bust you for this. If you go out east of Lake Crowley, tons of dispersed camping is allowed along all those dirt roads. Take the road that goes by all those houses on the east side of the 395 and it is only a few miles until you get on FS land.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

I just read this....Looks like that list has Saddlebag Lake as being closed..so I am assuming the gate will be closed right at the bottom of the road going in there..but not sure...I wonder if one could camp along Lee Vining Creek down below..we are leaving Saturday for a 7 day road trip on the east side..camping along the way and doing day hikes..I do not mind dry camping outside established campgrounds....but having to worry about how to dispose of human waste now.

UPDATE: October 2, 2013

All Campground in teh Inyo National Forest are now closed, including campgrounds operated by a private concessionaires. For an up-to-date list of campground availability in and near Mammoth Lakes check out our Campground Report here: http://9nl.me/campground-availability-yose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

thanks wandering daisy. I found plan b, mountain home demonstration state forest. ive been backpacking out of there, its in a large sequoia grove and car camp sites. its not federal so they are open, a real nice place! I called them and they are not effected.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I'm going to be on the east side for the next two weekends and was wondering if the bathrooms at the trailheads will be open at least. If anyone has been hiking in Inyo since the closure, I'd appreciate an update on that.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I was at Cathedral Lake in Yosemite Monday and Tuesday night, hiking out yesterday morning. I ran into 6 day hikers and 2 backpackers hiking up the trail. The only parking areas that are open are at the store (closed for the season) and along the road at Cathedral Lakes trailhead and at the Big Oak Flat entrance. They have the road to the Glen Aulin trailhead and Lembert Dome picnic area blocked off. Also the road down to the Wilderness Center parking area and Dog Lake parking area is marked closed though one lane is not blocked off, I'm assuming so those cars already in the lots whose occupants are in the backcountry can get out.

All the picnic areas are blocked off and bathrooms locked. I stopped at the Tenaya Lake/Murphy Creek area to eat lunch, parking in the area by the trailhead and walking in. When I was putting my things back in the car, a ranger pulled up and was ready for a confrontation until she realized I hadn't heard about the shutdown since I had been in the backcountry. Then she was very nice and even suggested trying the bathroom in the picnic area since it hadn't been locked yesterday (it was locked). There was very little traffic on Tioga Road. The Big Oak Flat entrance kiosk had someone in it. At the parking area, the bathroom was still open, but the office closed with nothing about self-registration for backcountry permits. There were a half dozen foreign tourists in the parking lot, clearly bewildered by the whole thing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com