What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF

Post by FeetFirst »

The recreation.gov website is down "due to a lapse in federal government funding" and is where one would normally go to reserve permits for Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF (as well as many other NFs wilderness permits). I called the Eldorado NF Pacific Ranger District station to see about a same day permit, but received a recorded message saying they were closed due to federal govt. furloughs. Great. I'm one to follow the rules, but...

I'm going for it.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by vitaminC »

I was also planning on Desolation this weekend. Will probably make alternate plans and hope that the govt can get its act together soon.
----------------
Lots of photos
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

I leave on Friday for a 19 day roadtrip through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Zion. Absolutely fuming right now. Not excited, not happy about this trip I've been carefully planning for a year. Just stressed and angry.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cadipidder wrote:
I leave on Friday for a 19 day roadtrip through Yellowstone, Grand Teton,
Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Zion. Absolutely fuming right now. Not
excited, not happy about this trip I've been carefully planning for a year.
Just stressed and angry.
Well the best parts of Grand Teton National Park are outside the gates with the exception
of OxBow Bend.

Hwy 89 runs the entire length of the park along the east side. You can reach the barns
and all the pullouts along 89 including Snake River Overlook. You can also park at the Schwabacher Landing road and walk in. That road was already closed this year because
of sequester.

Oxbow Bend is inside the park so wont be accessible, nor is Jenny Lake if the gates are
closed.

Canyonlands and Capitol Reef should not be a problem to access, plenty of backroads,
Zion might be an issue.

Why not go to Grandstaircase-Escalante NM? Plenty of road access with beautiful scenery?

Canyonlands and Capital Reef I would not worry about, especially if you have a 4 wheel
drive, Zion is another story.

The road out Gros Venture will be open.

Access of backroads of Canyonlands and Capitol Reef should not be problems with a
4 wheel drive. Zion may be an issue, but why not go to Grandstaircase-Escalante NM
instead, all the roads in will be accessible, and the scenery is outstanding.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/5 ... l.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

vitaminC wrote:I was also planning on Desolation this weekend. Will probably make alternate plans and hope that the govt can get its act together soon.
Since all the trailheads originate at points of open access (no gate many miles away from trailhead), I wouldn't hesitate just to enter Desolation without a permit, same for Hoover, etc. If the backcountry rangers aren't there, what are they going to do? Even if they are there, if you say you tried to get a permit and no one was available, what are they going to do? I'd still be respectful to them and follow all the rules (fires, bathroom use, etc.) as usual. If they told me to leave, I'd politely say that with the government shut down, I am exercising a peaceful protest against it via this non-violent act of civil disobedience. The WWII memorial at the national mall was locked off at midnight. Today there were numerous WWII vets in there respectfully visiting it. I didn't see any LEOs arresting them.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

FeetFirst wrote:The recreation.gov website is down "due to a lapse in federal government funding" and is where one would normally go to reserve permits for Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF (as well as many other NFs wilderness permits). I called the Eldorado NF Pacific Ranger District station to see about a same day permit, but received a recorded message saying they were closed due to federal govt. furloughs. Great. I'm one to follow the rules, but...

I'm going for it.
Go for it.

If a website was really down, you'd get a 500 error. They obviously have enough money to keep their site up and just put up a redirect message (yose did the same this am). Means the server is still up and drawing power and money.

Idiots really..

Leave a note where you're going with friends/family. Leave one in the car and enjoy. Weather looks good.

russ
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

Tom_H wrote:
vitaminC wrote:I was also planning on Desolation this weekend. Will probably make alternate plans and hope that the govt can get its act together soon.
Since all the trailheads originate at points of open access (no gate many miles away from trailhead), I wouldn't hesitate just to enter Desolation without a permit, same for Hoover, etc. If the backcountry rangers aren't there, what are they going to do? Even if they are there, if you say you tried to get a permit and no one was available, what are they going to do? I'd still be respectful to them and follow all the rules (fires, bathroom use, etc.) as usual. If they told me to leave, I'd politely say that with the government shut down, I am exercising a peaceful protest against it via this non-violent act of civil disobedience. The WWII memorial at the national mall was locked off at midnight. Today there were numerous WWII vets in there respectfully visiting it. I didn't see any LEOs arresting them.
Sure, they're not going to arrest you and march you out in cuffs, but that doesn't mean you won't be hit with a hefty fine or charged with something later. Why risk it?
----------------
Lots of photos
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Tom_H wrote:Since all the trailheads originate at points of open access (no gate many miles away from trailhead), I wouldn't hesitate just to enter Desolation without a permit, same for Hoover, etc. If the backcountry rangers aren't there, what are they going to do? Even if they are there, if you say you tried to get a permit and no one was available, what are they going to do? I'd still be respectful to them and follow all the rules (fires, bathroom use, etc.) as usual. If they told me to leave, I'd politely say that with the government shut down, I am exercising a peaceful protest against it via this non-violent act of civil disobedience. The WWII memorial at the national mall was locked off at midnight. Today there were numerous WWII vets in there respectfully visiting it. I didn't see any LEOs arresting them.
Right on! I agree. In need of a quick fix weekend trip, I was going to go to Yosemite Friday but given ambiguity about access to TH's looks like we'll hit Desolation instead. And the weather's looking good, could be a nice quiet trip. :)
phenocryst
Topix Acquainted

Post by phenocryst »

I drove to Reds Meadow today. Nobody in the kiosk, just a sign saying no access to Devils Postpile or Rainbow Falls. Most of the campgrounds were closed but all trailheads were open. The road into DEPO was barricaded. I talked to a guy who had tried to walk down to Devils Postpile but was met by a ranger who told him the monument was closed and he had to leave. But a pleasant surprise to find access as usual everyplace else in the valley.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Although the CalTrans site (state) does not say the Tioga Pass is closed, I would double check with a call to Mono Lake or Whoa Nellie Deli for the most current information. And remember, the east side is wide open, the fall color is at it's peak right now, and there are no storms in the 10 day forecast, just a little wind. As soon as my weekend company leaves, I am headed for one more overnight trip into the national forest.