Camping spots in the Rae Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camping spots in the Rae Lakes Basin

Post by Trailguru »

Hi there

Heading to Onion Valley TH. Can't hardly wait!

Since I've never been in the area I was wondering what would be a good camping spot that you guys would recommend. I wouldn't be asking if camping right by the JMT was what I wanted. Ive heard Dragon lake is excellent but since we will be hiking from Onion Valley to Rae lakes hopefully by Day 1 that might be too much of an additional hike to tackle. We also plan on doing Sixty Lakes basin on Day 2 so anything or anywhere in between with great fishing would be great. Thanks again for your excellent input
CaliCruzer
Topix Novice

Re: Camping spots in the Rae Lakes Basin

Post by CaliCruzer »

There are a couple spots between the glen pass trail and rae col. spent a night there on my way into sixty lakes basin last year. rae col is a nice shortcut.
Enginerd
Topix Novice

Post by Enginerd »

We came into Sixty from Gardiner basin and then to Rae via the notch so can't really give good advice on camping from your direction on day one. There is no fishing in sixty lakes at all, lakes are full of gill nets, but tons of fish in Rae, though small.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I spent last wk. in 60 and rae. Rae col. Is a great route. I saw small fish all along the northern end of 60 esp. the furthest north big lake. South end i saw a frog so i guess no fish. The tarns below glen pa are nice and ambitious for night 1out of onion(took me 2 days). If you have time kearsarge lakes are nice. The one at the head of the valley is especially beautiful and secluded. You cant go wrong in that area. So many beautiful camps and lakes. I didn't see a soul once i left the trail.P.S. if you take basin notch make sure you take the right one. I was too lazy to go back south and took a harder notch to the north. Thankfully In made it back to the JMT before the snow hit sat. night .Thanks HST
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mursey »

I saw some established sites on the opposite (West) side of Arrowhead which were way off the JMT.